Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Newsletter running a Border Poll on its website - 86% want it

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Newsletter running a Border Poll on its website - 86% want it

Should there be a border poll? - News - Belfast Newsletter

The figures show 86% among the Newsletter readers (which are dominately Unionist)

I am amazed at this - I heard some people saying that the poll is rigged as many Catholics are voting on it - which I find rich coming from a community who collected Union flag figures flying during the Covenant march oct and said 95% of the Belfast population who voted wanted the Union flag left on City Hall.

First can I ask that no catholic views this as an incentive to go onto that link which I posted above and spend the 10 secs to vote. Secondly its has now become apparent that the Unionist population of the Newsletter reader want a Border Poll - which can only be welcomed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iarmhi Gael View Post

The figures show 86% among the Newsletter readers (which are dominately Unionist)
    Freudian slip or tongue in cheek?
    If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it. Julius Caesar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Time to call SF's bluff. Sad the SoS is ruling it out, would have been nice revival for Unionism. Hope she changes her mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am amazed at this - I heard some people saying that the poll is rigged as many Catholics are voting on it - which I find rich coming from a community who collected Union flag figures flying during the Covenant march oct and said 95% of the Belfast population who voted wanted the Union flag left on City Hall.

First can I ask that no catholic views this as an incentive to go onto that link which I posted above and spend the 10 secs to vote. Secondly its has now become apparent that the Unionist population of the Newsletter reader want a Border Poll - which can only be welcomed

Does not amaze me in the least sir, the a$$holes think they have a referendum in the bag for the link before a vote is counted.

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

SF ran a poll for the name of the new bridge in Dublin, Lord Edward Carson won it by a mile... make of 'internet' polls what you will...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Politics.ie should do a border poll, it'd be interesting to see how many "call my bluff" Unionists and "we don't want ye" 26 county Divisionists there are out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by between the bridges View Post
    SF ran a poll for the name of the new bridge in Dublin, Lord Edward Carson won it by a mile... make of 'internet' polls what you will...
    I'd rather bridges were named after engineers regardless of political persuasion myself.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank god the NI SoS did rule it out. Would have being a fiasco for Nationalism otherwise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The only legitimate reason not to want a poll is because of the cost. And let's be honest, things like administrative costs rarely influence our thoughts on The Big Issue.

The DUP is smart in apparently moving towards agreement with SF to have the poll. And Newsletter readers are simply falling in line with the DUP. The poll will show a clear majority in favour or maintaining the union, which is a victory for the DUP. And having the poll in itself is a victory for democracy. To fight against it reeks of obstructionism, so why would the DUP want to been tarnished with the obstructionist label (on top of all its other problems) when it can simply agree to a showdown that it will certainly win?

It does not surprise me that large numbers of unionists are in favour of the poll.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mattarigna View Post
    Thank god the NI SoS did rule it out. Would have being a fiasco for Nationalism otherwise.
    Would have actually looked worse for unionism, in that they would look obstructionist on top of their very public incompetence on the flags issue. Additional fodder for all the "unionism in crises" talk....

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast