Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Do your duty - holiday at home!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Do your duty - holiday at home!

Well folks, it's that time of the year again. Christmas is over and we all need something to talk about, particularly those in hard felt unemployment blighted remote locations. Surely it is time for us all to spend a few quid holidaying at home at some point this year.

I 've done a little research into this and whilst many people blame the weather the same need for the sun does not appear to be required elsewhere.

The most patriotic tourists in the EU based on a recent 2010 EU report appear to be the French (actually the Speanish 92%) and the least (aprt from Luxembourg) are the Belgians. We are below the average for EU behaviour which shows Europeans spend 77% of their holiday trips in their own country.

France = 89% of total trips were domestic
    Belgium = 24% of total trips were domestic
    Irl (26 counties) = 51% of total trips were domestic

However size you might say, sun you might say but why is it:

Finland = 85% of total trips were domestic
    Sweden = 78% of total trips were domestic
    Denmark = 78% of total trips were domestic

Our nearest neighbour the UK had 61% domestic.

It is worth noting that the Finnish enjoy plenty of holidays, 36125 in total (30695 domestic) compared to our 10638 total trips (5430 domestic).

The money spent on all these holidays is of course of huge value: 2009 figures show 898 million was spent on domestic tourism with a whopping 4.156 billion going foreign. The Finnish by comparison out of their total of 8.514 billion only spent 4.155 billion abroad with a hefty balance staying in their own economy 4.359 billion.

It would appear we are not keen on long trips at home (4 nights or more). Irish people had 1170 long trips at home against 3829 abroad. Of course this is why so much of the total expenditure is spent abroad.

If only some of those considering going abroad for a couple of weeks would even consider holidaying at home this year in total or deciding to take a week here and a week there.

I understand people want to go to the sun etc but some people seem to have a total aversion to holidaying at home and miss much of the real quality on offer.

The net injection into tourist regions would improve employment prospects locally and allow people to unify around a more common goal of getting the country going again and allowing an appreciation of the diversity within the Irish nation.

Unemployment rate Donegal in 2011 = 26%.
    Clare in 2011 = 18.8

As part of nation building we need to rear our children to at least like Ireland and building fond memories here early on can help foster a love of the country in the future that will bear fruit economically. So whether you have children or not perhaps this year divert some of your money to the local tourist economy and keep some people in jobs and perhaps create new ones. You never know you might just love it.

Report courtesy of Eurostat: http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/cac...-11-049-EN.PDF
    Last edited by Cooperate for freedom; 23rd January 2013 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Error noticed Spain is in fact more patriotic than France.
    "I can see that your head has been twisted and fed with worthless foam from the mouth" (Bob Dylan)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

honestly. you guarantee me the sun and I will stay. simples for me.
    #3amigos

Politics.ie Member Norman Bates's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is that you, Leo?

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's all fine, but perhaps others might consider doing their patriotic duty (having not bothered over the last 20 years) by not ripping domestic or foreign tourists off...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Northtipp View Post
    honestly. you guarantee me the sun and I will stay. simples for me.
    Who needs the sun when we have great bars and a good trad session......cant beat it...and no sun burn
    IRELAND FIRST

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Least Patriotic are Belgians?.. probably true on a deeper level as the country is a funny construct.

Fair enough, except when you realise that a 90 min drive in any direction from my home takes me out of Belgium (to France, Germany, Hollland or over the channel)

I think you need to take the scale of a country into account when throwing around stats...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If I lived in France I to would probably holiday at home, there are excellent reasons why it's a popular destination for other people.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

better get onto pat kenny.

he spent this morning telling people to get out of this kip if they can as they need the break

By introducing abortion on demand, the government could instantly reduce the number of people travelling abroad.

I have no money, but I love my life.

I never holiday in Ireland and I don't intend to as long as I live or have the ability to go abroad. Ireland is poor value for money, the weather is invariably ************************e, food is very ordinary unless you are willing to spend a small fortune and social life depends too much on alcohol.

Given the air of national depression I would say that everyone who can afford it should take a break in the sun as I did for Christmas and New Year. Mind you the comedown afterwards is a bitch.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast