Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Children U16's and standing or walking around a small town

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Children U16's and standing or walking around a small town

At a local meeting between the lcal gaurd and the community, the gaued stated that any children he finds on the street after 9 pm, he will bring to the nearest garda station which is 8 miles away, where he will contact the parents and they can collect them there. There has been some anti-social behavour, but no proof that it is caused by children U16's, can he do it if he has no proof that thet are doing anything wrong, i would agree if he finds them say with a smell of drink or smooking. The last 2 Saturday nights, he walked around the town and was seen talking to some young fellas, i would say 15 or 16 but doing nothing wrong. Can he do it.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

lol @ ^^^

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fair dues to him. If the kids are genuinely loitering around, without a purpose or a place to be going to he is correct I think. I don't think any responsible parent would let a young teenager hang around town doing nothing at that time of the evening.
    The true "front line workers" are the private sector paye employees who are first to take the bullet. Cannon fodder for their state and the public sector.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When you're 15 or 16 in a small Irish (or any other) town there is very frequently nowhere to go and nothing to do, and Saturday night is probably the time that this is most keenly felt. The guard would be far better advised thinking of a way of providing the kids with either, rather than presuming they are guilty of some unspecified offence.

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He can't do anything unless he catches them in the act of committing an offence of some kind. He could be done for assault, wrongful arrest and false imprisonment for starters. He sounds like a power freak.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Round tower View Post
    At a local meeting between the lcal gaurd and the community, the gaued stated that any children he finds on the street after 9 pm, he will bring to the nearest garda station which is 8 miles away, where he will contact the parents and they can collect them there. There has been some anti-social behavour, but no proof that it is caused by children U16's, can he do it if he has no proof that thet are doing anything wrong, i would agree if he finds them say with a smell of drink or smooking. The last 2 Saturday nights, he walked around the town and was seen talking to some young fellas, i would say 15 or 16 but doing nothing wrong. Can he do it.
    Fair play to him for being proactive and cracking down on anti-social behaviour in the town.

He can tell them to move on and if they refuse then he can bring them to the Garda station.
    Defend the 8th Amendment against attack by those seeking to introduce taxpayer-funded abortion on demand in Ireland. http://prolifecampaign.ie/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are they committing a crime? Are they causing noise or bothering residents? If not, then the Guard should do nothing. If you disagree, explain what they are doing wrong.

Politics.ie Member budwards dad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

smooking some newfangled practice i'll wager ... down with it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gardai don't want teenagers hanging around, don't want them going to discos and wants them born with the sense of a middle aged folk. After talking to the juvenile liaison office I got the feeling if all teenage were in church provided activities they'd be happy. They must have never been teenagers themselves.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tigerben View Post
    Gardai don't want teenagers hanging around, don't want them going to discos and wants them born with the sense of a middle aged folk. After talking to the juvenile liaison office I got the feeling if all teenage were in church provided activities they'd be happy. They must have never been teenagers themselves.

Seriously? What's the problem, I don't think any teenagers should be hanging about any size of a town at night time in the dark. And it's not then gardai job to provide entertainment for teenagers either ffs!

The chap was being proactive and dicussing with locals what he would like to do to tackle potential behaviour or anti so ial activities in the town. It sounds to me like the fella was looking to engage the parents and get support, bit if any of them had a problem with it, then was the opportunity to speak up. Seems a number of you were not happy but didn't even bother voice your opinion. Would make you wonder why you even attended the meeting in the first place!
    The true "front line workers" are the private sector paye employees who are first to take the bullet. Cannon fodder for their state and the public sector.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast