Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish Rail Improvements/Cuts for 2013

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Irish Rail Improvements/Cuts for 2013

Irish Rail has changed a lot of their timetables and cut some lesser used services. Presumably this will reduce costs and increase revenue:

Key Improvements:

9 services(up from 8) on Dublin-Galway route. Journey time down to 2hours10minutes (down from 2 hours 45 minutes in some cases)

5 services(up from 4) on Dublin-Westport route. 15 minutes improvement on journey time.

An extra evening Cork-Dublin service meaning 16 per day Cork-Dublin and 15 per day Dublin-Cork. Journey times on Cork route down to 2 hours 30

An improved Dublin Limerick service will mean the fastest train will take 1hour59minutes between the cities.

Journey times on most routes are reduced, with Dublin-Waterford now only 1hour 50minutes.

The Limerick Galway service has reduced journey times by about 10 minutes and now the service is being extended to Limerick Junction to provide a more direct route for passengers between Galway and Cork. Even with this improvement a Galway-Cork journey would still take at least 4 hours. Compared to CityLink bus services which do the same journey in 2hours50 minutes for a cheaper fare of €19 single.

I hope that these changes will end the annual IÉ subvention of €14m. Hopefully there will be further cuts in average journey times, Dublin-Cork should be 2hours15 or less in this day and age imo.

New Rail Timetable for 2013 - Iarnród Éireann - Irish Rail

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Excellent. How did they manage to knock 35min off the Galway route

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

as far as I can tell some of the smaller stops in east galway have been cut out and are being served by the limerick service instead and some of the stops between Dublin and Athlone are cut, replaced with more regional services. The long term ambition is to double track all the way between Dublin and Athlone which will slash journey times further.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If they are serious about improving journey times and reducing costs to attract greater passenger numbers, then IE and the Government need to look at electrification of the main routes - Dublin to Cork, Galway and Limerick - a lot sooner than the mid-2020s as currently suggested. And they can add in Dublin-Belfast too, which is not part of the most recent plans.

The failure to electrify the main lines during the last decade was a major failure of policy and vision which will cost us dear in years to come as electric rail is faster, more efficient and cheaper to operate and maintain than diesel-powered trains.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Electrification should be the number 1 priority for the reasons you have given, but the track north of the border needs to be realigned in large sections so the benefits of faster trains can be fully exploited. Another line also needs to be built from connolly to Drogheda to overcome congestion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Jack View Post
    The failure to electrify the main lines during the last decade was a major failure of policy and vision which will cost us dear in years to come as electric rail is faster, more efficient and cheaper to operate and maintain than diesel-powered trains.
    Agreed, we should have spent the boom years improving our infrastructure to top European 21st century standard, rather than pissing it away on unsustainable tax cuts and social welfare increases

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good to see them trying to do *something* with the part of the western rail corridor they made instead of just running it into the ground so they have an excuse to close it.

Quite a long halt in limerick junction coming from cork. I would even prefer the old timetable to taking the bus, I just hate buses particularly those with automatic transmission they give me a headache sitting on them for more than an hour or so.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dankoozy View Post
    Good to see them trying to do *something* with the part of the western rail corridor they made instead of just running it into the ground so they have an excuse to close it.

Quite a long halt in limerick junction coming from cork. I would even prefer the old timetable to taking the bus, I just hate buses particularly those with automatic transmission they give me a headache sitting on them for more than an hour or so.
    City link is offering a cork-galway journey of 3 hours or less, where as with Irish Rail, it's 4 hours with a change of train. Line speeds need to be addressed in a big way.

Dylan2010

Quote Originally Posted by Roll_On View Post
    City link is offering a cork-galway journey of 3 hours or less, where as with Irish Rail, it's 4 hours with a change of train. Line speeds need to be addressed in a big way.
    Or just accept that busses are better on a small island and focus on fixing any bottlenecks on the roads. One should really be able to get to any 2 points in Ireland by 9AM and have a normal wait of no more than 30 minutes between service.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan2010 View Post
    Or just accept that busses are better on a small island and focus on fixing any bottlenecks on the roads. One should really be able to get to any 2 points in Ireland by 9AM and have a normal wait of no more than 30 minutes between service.
    In the case of galway-cork, clearly buses are better. I would suggest we should look towards improving journey times on the railways to increase competitiveness. The current Cork-Galway route by rail is an indirect one at best, in the future when capital is available a new alignment should be considered.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast