Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Bohemians scabbed in 1913!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Bohemians scabbed in 1913!

Came across an interesting reference from 1913 to a picket being placed by Larkin and ITGWU on Shelbourne Park when Shels were due to play Bohs.

Shelbourne were supported by south city dockers and Larkin claimed that some of the Bohs players were engaged in strike breaking. Bohs then were an amateur side and had students and I think Dublin based soldiers playing for them. Oliver St. John Gogarty played for Bohs for a while in the late 1890s.

I assume then that the 'scabs' involved were middle class 'volunteers' of the type which featured in British General Strike in 1926?

The picket itself attracted more than the match and there were attempts to stop Bohemians entering the ground. The DMP then baton charged the crowd and there were a number of serious injuries.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bread and circuses.

Were they Dithering Bertie's favourite club ?

'Nuf Sed.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Was clearly more than 'bread and circuses' in 1913 when the city was in turmoil!

Dublin and Wexford (Wexford having seen an earlier attempt to break the ITGWU) gaelic footballers played a fundraiser for the locked out workers which raised a large amount for the strike fund.

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd say Real Madrid fans would love that.
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

Bohemian Scabstory was surely the thread title to use!