Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Hole at Oranhill

Default The Hole at Oranhill

Two young sisters from Oranmore Co. Galway have made a video about a large excavated hole in their estate. Apparently the hole was intended to be the foundations of a commercial block housing a shop, doctor's surgery and creche etc.

According to the video, they have been in contact with Galway County Council on multiple occasions in writing and in person, with the Council stating it is none of their concern as it is private land.

What the girls ask in their video is this: "Why can no-one fix the hole and make it go away?"

I think that's a very good question. According to Citizen's Information:

All local authorities in Ireland are responsible for dealing with derelict sites and dangerous structures in their area. The Derelict Sites Act, 1990 and the Local Government (Sanitary Services) Act, 1964 can be used by local authorities to force owners to clean up these sites. Both acts allow local authorities to prosecute owners who do not comply with notices served, to keep registers of all derelict sites and dangerous structures, to purchase land compulsorily and to carry out necessary work themselves and charge the owners for the cost.
    Derelict sites and dangerous structures

From the Derelict Sites Act itself, Section 3:

3.—In this section “derelict site” means any land (in this section referred to as “the land in question”) which detracts, or is likely to detract, to a material degree from the amenity, character or appearance of land in the neighbourhood of the land in question because of—

(a) the existence on the land in question of structures which are in a ruinous, derelict or dangerous condition, or

(b) the neglected, unsightly or objectionable condition of the land or any structures on the land in question, or

(c) the presence, deposit or collection on the land in question of any litter, rubbish, debris or waste, except where the presence, deposit or collection of such litter, rubbish, debris or waste results from the exercise of a right conferred by statute or by common law.
    This ginormous hole is clearly within the definition of a derelict site. In my opinion, based on the video, the site meets all three sub-clauses of the definition in Section 3.

Under Section 10 of the Act, the Council have a duty to take steps, including the use of statutory powers, to remedy the situation.

So, why is our legislative system failing miserably to address this large hole and indeed all the other large holes around the country?
    Redacted.

Politics.ie Member Astral Peaks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Did the developer lodge a completion bond with the council?

My understanding is that that was a requirement from about 2005 onwards, those monies were designed to address this type of situation.

Of course, I may be wrong......
    "Don't need a whore, I don't need no booze, don't need a virgin priest."

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Hole? Not a patch on the Parkway Valley in Limerick, which is a hole filled with concrete. The cranes have since been removed.

Aerial photo of Parkway Valley development, Limerick. Construction project abandoned.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Irish are still acting as if they can't do anything without the permission of the landlord or constabulary. They can't move, are paralysed. Apparently the 'adults' in that area are worried that a child might fall in and drown in that hole so they spend 3 years writing letters hoping someone will come along and fix it.

Get off your holes and take control, fix it yourselves as far as possible to make it safer, for your children. It's your life, your area, your country.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is there a hoarding licence for the hoarding?

Ask the Council to take enforcement action to either complete the development or restore the land to its original condition!

Caught between the moon and New York City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What's needed here is a mound...the only natural enemy of the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Peaks View Post
    Did the developer lodge a completion bond with the council?

My understanding is that that was a requirement from about 2005 onwards, those monies were designed to address this type of situation.

Of course, I may be wrong......
    I've no clue on the bond situation Astral. The houses were built in 2002 but the hole was excavated in 2007 I think.

This matter was raised in the Seanad in May 2012. According to Fidelma Healy Eames, a commitment was received to have the hole surveyed and filled in. First time I ever heard of a hole requiring a survey.

UNFINISHED HOLE IN ORANMORE ESTATE TO BE SURVEYED | Galway Bay FM | galwaynews.ie

Serious case of beating about the bush methinks.
    Redacted.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You can also apply to the Court yourself

Planning and Development Act, 2000, Section 160

Quote Originally Posted by Civic_critic2 View Post
    The Irish are still acting as if they can't do anything without the permission of the landlord or constabulary. They can't move, are paralysed. Apparently the 'adults' in that area are worried that a child might fall in and drown in that hole so they spend 3 years writing letters hoping someone will come along and fix it.

Get off your holes and take control, fix it yourselves as far as possible to make it safer, for your children. It's your life, your area, your country.
    I would be of the same opinion. At least the locals could make a start clearing up some of the rubble. That in itself would highlight the issue and possibly embarrass the council into doing their statutory duty.
    Redacted.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why not ask the Council to take efrorcment action. Copy the complaint to the Omburdsman.

The Omburdsman will make the local authority compensate you if they fail to take action.

Investigation Report on a complaint made against Meath County Council - The Office of the Ombudsman

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast