Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Man awarded 24k for discrimination as Credit Union offers a depressing insight into the mentality of an Irish company

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Man awarded 24k for discrimination as Credit Union offers a depressing insight into the mentality of an Irish company

Just an utterly depressing story as a man was awarded €24k for suffering homophobic taunting in his Credit Union workplace. It was broken down as €8k for the discrimination and €16k for victimisation.

A few examples of what he went through:

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...e-3362560.html

• Comment on his sexuality and dress sense
    • Suggestion he was in a gay relationship with a coworker.
    • An AM mocking his "camp" accent and telling other staff not to contact him for IT issues
    • As a group mocking him about his sexuality
    • One man saying: "I had better not be left alone in a room with him. I hope it's not contagious."
    • Another man referring to him as "one of them, a queer, like".
    • A woman constantly calling him "one of the girls"
    • Another man making comments like "Do you like taking it up the back passage?"

When he reported it to management they did absolutely nothing.

Now...IT'S 2013. I can't understand one person in a workplace acting like this, let alone a company allowing an atmosphere where both staff and management felt comfortable acting like this.

Is this just a case that the Credit Union need to take urgent steps in terms of educating it's staff on working in a modern workplace or is this sort of thing happening in other Irish companies? This is genuinely appalling.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It just goes to show how many far right wing Neanderthals we still have in this country.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

I wouldn't by any means say that this is an insight into the mentality of Irish companies in the norm.
    Somebody grab the script!

Also I wonder were the staff disciplined? Sounds like small village ignorance to me, which is a concern. "Gays" and "foreigners" being the the usual fodder for narrow minded idiots who have never been further than their county boundary.
    Somebody grab the script!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Just an utterly depressing story as a man was awarded €24k for suffering homophobic taunting in his Credit Union workplace. It was broken down as €8k for the discrimination and €16k for victimisation.

Credit union worker gets €24,000 for homophobic taunts in office - Courts, National News - Independent.ie

• An AM mocking his "camp" accent and telling other staff not to contact him for IT issues
    • One man saying: "I had better not be left alone in a room with him. I hope it's not contagious."

Now...IT'S 2013. I can't understand one person in a workplace acting like this, let alone a company allowing an atmosphere where both staff and management felt comfortable acting like this.

Is this just a case that the Credit Union need to take urgent steps in terms of educating it's staff on working in a modern workplace or is this sort of thing happening in other Irish companies? This is genuinely appalling.
    The award was far too small!

€240K would have sent out a much stronger message!

Politics.ie Member Crazy horse 6's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff says Flaherty View Post
    I wouldn't by any means say that this is an insight into the mentality of Irish companies in the norm.
    I'd say it's par for the course tbh. We are'nt the open liberal society we portray to the world. In many ways Ireland is as backward as it has ever been.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Just an utterly depressing story as a man was awarded 24k for suffering homophobic taunting in his Credit Union workplace. It was broken down as 8k for the discrimination and 16k for victimisation.

Credit union worker gets €24,000 for homophobic taunts in office - Courts, National News - Independent.ie

Mmmm, at the risk of having you lose the head with me.....

I can't see any evidence as to how the guy was discriminated against, victimised & bullied, perhaps, discriminated, no,

I therefore don't see how it is any of the Equality Authority's beeswax,

Btw - what in the name of cats is an Equality Officer, and do they have judicial powers?

I also smell a laptop shaped rat!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcolebrooke View Post

€240K would have sent out a much stronger message!
    If the CU don't run regular mandatory diversity training then I'd very much agree,
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcolebrooke View Post

240K would have sent out a much stronger message!
    Should have been 2.4bn IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy horse 6 View Post
    I'd say it's par for the course tbh. We are'nt the open liberal society we portray to the world. In many ways Ireland is as backward as it has ever been.
    +1

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast