Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Country in shock as Bertie Ahern promises to give back some of his pension and then decides not to.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Country in shock as Bertie Ahern promises to give back some of his pension and then decides not to.

Ah Bertie. Bertie Bertie Bertie. This is something Charlie would have been proud of.

Bertie in 2010:

Bertie Ahern to surrender ministerial pension - RTÉ News

Former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern is to give up his €83,000 ministerial pension.
    Mr Ahern contacted the Department of Finance this afternoon to ask them to 'gift' his pension back to the State.
    Mr Ahern's pension is currently the largest payment to a former office holder still in Leinster House.
    2012:

"Once the controversy arose I gifted back the entire pension worth €83,000-odd. I gave it up in full once there were calls to do so. But the finance report made no mention of that at all."
    2013:

Former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern does U-turn on 'gift' and takes full €150,000 pension - National News - Independent.ie

FORMER Taoiseach Bertie Ahern has been taking his full €150,000 a year pension since he left the Dail, after reversing his decision to give part of it back to the State.

The revelation comes as new figures released under Freedom of Information legislation show that only seven out of 116 former ministers gave up part of their pensions last year, despite the introduction of a simple system to allow them to do so.

None of the Fianna Fail ministers who presided over the economic crash gave up any part of their pensions.
    So which is worse?

Being honest and saying "Well I earned this pension lawfully so I'll hang onto it thanks" or saying "Well of course I'll give it back" and then just pocketing it all?

Or is he going to get into the nuanced argument of "Well I only meant that I wouldn't take it while I held my seat, I never meant it to be forever" (Which he totally never stated).
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We should require a tax clearance certificate for payment of any State pension!

Politics.ie Member flavirostris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looks like he's not finished pulling con jobs on the country. Transparent stroke from Ahern - make it look like he's magnanimously gifting his pension back but secretly reversing it later.

Very much in keeping with the act he kept up as Taoiseach, saying one thing in public and doing the exact opposite in private.

He's a money-grubbing little hoor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bertie is money grubbing scum.

What else can be said?

Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's put a spring in my step today, knowing that all the tax I'll pay for the year will only make up 30% of that scumbags pension.
    The more things change....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How is is pension over 75% of the current Taoiseach's salary?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The onus is on the government not the "pensioner": it needs to tax it higher or change the pension regime, make it retrospective and see if the recipient sues. (A thread per politician is a nonsense for this site)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Con Gallagher View Post
    The onus is on the government not the "pensioner": it needs to tax it higher or change the pension regime, make it retrospective and see if the recipient sues. (A thread per politician is a nonsense for this site)
    Bertie is special. That fncker needs his own "williewatch".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm sure the resident FF'ers on here will flock to his defence soon.

Sure it was all Lehmans fault, etc, or whatever else they've deluded themselves into believing, through the distinctive mixture of arrogance, denial and stupidity that characterises the Fianna Failer.

Typical FF sense of entitlement, they're secure in the knowledge they'll always have parochial fucktards and craven media whores to support them (FG/Lab are the exact same of course).
    This'll rumble on for a few minutes, and it won't make a blind bit of difference, as the little bastard will still get away with it.

"But fumble in a greasy till
    And add the halfpence to the pence
    And pray to shivering prayer, until
    You have dried the marrow from the bone."
    Last edited by Goa Tse; 23rd January 2013 at 10:31 AM.
    'I am not gay, although I wish I were, just to piss off homophobes.' - Kurt Cobain

Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Con Gallagher View Post
    Bertie is no ordinary politician - his incompetence and lack of ethics have cost this country dearly and we, tax paying citizens, are paying him a pension almost equivalent to the CURRENT US President...
    The more things change....

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast