Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sweden to charge Computer / Tablet users TV Licence fee

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Sweden to charge Computer / Tablet users TV Licence fee

RTE will love this.

Other European countries have a similar set up, Germany and Denmark for example.

It will be a very simple tax to implement, just stick 13.33 on every internet connection and for mobile phones data plans.

Not sure about the quality of Swedish TV but RTE is just pure crap.

I just had a quick look on the rTE player and I can't see one programme I'd like to watch.

iPad owners to pay Swedish TV licence fee - The Local

A representative from the agency confirmed with technology magazine Computer Sweden that SVT's move would mean the agency would start collecting the fee from people who didn't own a television, but did own a computer or tablet device.

Despite the move, the actual effect of the new licencing system will be negligible, as nine out of ten Swedish households already pay the fee. An estimated 97 percent of Swedes watch television.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Backward ould bunch. Its a pity that countries like Sweden and Germany are well regarded over here this will give the govt a prime excuse to bring it in here. There should at least be an opt-out to have all the sites this tax is meant support blocked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fine, have a subscribe to view option, I never watch television and I won't be paying a licence fee to use a tablet or computer.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

The Stickies Rabbitte and Sherlock will love this.
    Regards...jmcc

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Taxes have to collected one way or another..

For a state to function it needs to collect taxes to deliver services like Police, Army, Healthcare, Education etc.. this is as good as anyway to collection said taxes.. better than taxing childrens shoes.

Either you believe all taxation is theft and all government is evil or you figure out a way (well several ways preferably) to gather said taxes.

Set taxes too high and you incentivise people not to pay by seeking alternatives so it's in the State's interest to set tax at an acceptable & affordable level.

It's all about choosing the government you want.. vote and be damned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Germany's been doing this for years as far as I know.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Verhofstadt View Post
    Taxes have to collected one way or another..

For a state to function it needs to collect taxes to deliver services like Police, Army, Healthcare, Education etc.. this is as good as anyway to collection said taxes.. better than taxing childrens shoes.

Either you believe all taxation is theft and all government is evil or you figure out a way (well several ways preferably) to gather said taxes.

Set taxes too high and you incentivise people not to pay by seeking alternatives so it's in the State's interest to set tax at an acceptable & affordable level.

It's all about choosing the government you want.. vote and be damned.
    Well in Britain, according to Peter Hitchens, the welfare state/benefits soaks up all the income tax paid so that everything else (public services, etc.) has to be funded through indirect taxes.

OT: But the point is that we are not just taxed so that the state can "deliver services like Police, Army, Healthcare, Education etc.." and that's what grates on people like me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YesSireeeBob View Post
    RTE will love this.

Other European countries have a similar set up, Germany and Denmark for example.

It will be a very simple tax to implement, just stick 13.33 on every internet connection and for mobile phones data plans.

Not sure about the quality of Swedish TV but RTE is just pure crap.

I just had a quick look on the rTE player and I can't see one programme I'd like to watch.

iPad owners to pay Swedish TV licence fee - The Local
    That's great for them. I for one think it's a thick idea that forces people to pay for a service they don't want.

ride me side ways another one...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

From the UK TV licensing site:

You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder.
    Nothing new in what the Swedes are doing. I even think it was suggested here a year or two ago.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast