Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: What are "the appropriate procedures for selecting, training and accrediting members as fit and proper persons to solemnise marriages"?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default President Higgins signs outrageous discriminating Marriage Registration Bill into law!

What are the appropriate procedures for selecting, training and accrediting members as fit and proper persons to solemnise marriages?

The Civil Registration (Amendment) Act 2012 was passed by the Dáil just before Christmas.

The Act will provide a process wherein non religious individuals will have the legal capacity to solemnise a marriage without the need for the couple to to have the marriage carried out by a civil process as well.

Only groups which have more than 50 members will have the capacity to nominate some one to carry out ceremonies.

The Act has some curious provisions

Section 3 of the Act provides that:

45A. (1) For the purposes of this Part, a body shall, subject to subsection (2), be a secular body if it is an organised group of people and—

(a) it has not fewer than 50 members,

(b) its principal objects are secular, ethical and humanist,

(c) members of the body meet regularly in relation to their beliefs and in furtherance of the objects referred to in paragraph (b),

(d) it does not have any rules regarding marriage or the solemnisation of marriages that contravene the requirements of this Act or any other enactment or rule of law,

(e) it is shown to the satisfaction of an tArd-Chláraitheoir to be a body that has appropriate procedures in writing for selecting, training and accrediting members as fit and proper persons to solemnise marriages,

(f) it is a body that, on the date of its making of an application under section 54 or 57, has been in existence for a continuous period of not less than 5 years,

Civil Registration (Amendment) Act 2012, Section 3

The State does not speculate or decide who are fit and proper persons to be Catholic or Protestant Priests so why should it decide who are fit persons for registration for other organisations?
    Last edited by Bobcolebrooke; 22nd January 2013 at 05:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here's an important bob thread being unjustly ignored.
    Quick....start replying or he'll only open a few more tonight.
    Сохранить Украины

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drummed View Post
    Here's an important bob thread being unjustly ignored.
    Quick....start replying or he'll only open a few more tonight.
    Any Catholic priest is acceptable to the State for conducting marriages. A non faith celebrant must be deemed to be sufficiently educated to be approved by the State and can only be nomionated by a group larger than 50 people.

Our President was happy enough to sign that into law.

How would the Churches have reached if the State sought a right of veto on which priests were allowed conduct marriages?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcolebrooke View Post
    Any Catholic priest is acceptable to the State for conducting marriages. A non faith celebrant must be deemed to be sufficiently educated to be approved by the State and can only be nomionated by a group larger than 50 people.

For some bizarre reason i'm supremely indifferent to this news. Whats your point exactly?
    Сохранить Украины

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drummed View Post
    For some bizarre reason i'm supremely indifferent to this news. Whats your point exactly?
    The Amendment was supposed to be about equality.

So why does the State not reserve the right to determine whether priests are fit persons or not to carry out a marriage?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Amendment was supposed to be about equality.

So why does the State not reserve the right to determine whether priests are fit persons or not to carry out a marriage?
    Don't know and frankly don't care either.
    Сохранить Украины

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what does this have to do with giving cops a shoot to kill policy?
    "I like a bit of a cavort, I don't send 'em solicitor's letters. I apply a bit of pressure"

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What are the appropriate procedures for selecting, training and accrediting members as fit and proper persons to solemnise marriages?
    I really cannot see that there's any call for that kind of talk.

Boggle

Surely this whole area could be simplified to the point where someone need only apply to be registered as authorised to carry out a marriage? Why the need to be part of a group?

What about atheists who just want a ceremony which means something to them rather than some weird cult (aka church)? Why can my mum or dad not do it in a place of my choosing?

It's just submitting documents after all as the license is applied for in advance and any checks necessary could be done then.

I must look into it more...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The State does not speculate or decide who are fit and proper persons to be Catholic or Protestant Priests so why should it decide who are fit persons for registration for other organisations?
    Sounds like the organisation gets to pick its celebrants. The rule is that they must have reasonable procedures for making the selection.