Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Let them hurry up and die" - Japanese Finance Minister, in relation to the elderly

Default "Let them hurry up and die" - Japanese Finance Minister, in relation to the elderly

Let elderly people 'hurry up and die', says Japanese minister | World news | guardian.co.uk

Taro Aso, the finance minister, said on Monday that the elderly should be allowed to "hurry up and die" to relieve pressure on the state to pay for their medical care.

"Heaven forbid if you are forced to live on when you want to die. I would wake up feeling increasingly bad knowing that [treatment] was all being paid for by the government," he said during a meeting of the national council on social security reforms. "The problem won't be solved unless you let them hurry up and die."
    And just to make sure everyone got the point:

To compound the insult, he referred to elderly patients who are no longer able to feed themselves as "tube people". The health and welfare ministry, he added, was "well aware that it costs several tens of millions of yen" a month to treat a single patient in the final stages of life.
    Would our Minister for Finance countenance such treatment of the elderly?
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Politics.ie Member The Field Marshal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are you sure you have the right country. ? Ireland's finance minister Michael Noonan,s conduct in relation to the Bridget McCole case comes to mind.
    Repeal the thirty-fourth amendment of the Irish constitution :
    Children have a basic right to be reared by a mother and a father.

Quote Originally Posted by The Field Marshal View Post
    Are you sure you have the right country. ? Ireland's finance minister Michael Noonan,s conduct in relation to the Bridget McCole case comes to mind.
    That poor lady wasn't old, if I recall correctly.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    Let elderly people 'hurry up and die', says Japanese minister | World news | guardian.co.uk

He already countenanced such treatment to women suffering fro Hepatitis C and the the scandal surrounding that episode http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...080200075.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sure, we're almost there in Europe. I don't understand the pernicious neo-liberal ideology which seems to infest every corner of the world these days. Old people were once treasured for their life experience and - dare I say it - wisdom. Today's youth obsessed culture is misguided and unhelpful at least. 18 year old members of boy bands now pass for men. Ridiculous. What's next, mandatory lethal injection at 60? This world is going the wrong way, and woe betide you if you happen to have the slightest irregularity or infirmity. I believe once upon a time one Mr Hitler tried to create the master race. Nowadays government policies on health and welfare come pretty close to doing the same thing. Euthanasia - see what goes on in Holland, scary stuff - is the next step. Beware the beginnings, us little people are all surplus to requirement.
    History repeats itself. First as tragedy, second as farce.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Due to the sensibilities of the population he wouldn't say it openly. But we're probably going to go in that direction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My Granny 'lived' for 10 years like that. It wasn't really life, but then it is illegal in Ireland to help someone 'hurry up and die'. Her husband refused to suffer like that so he stayed home and refused to go to hospital and become a vegatible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    My Granny 'lived' for 10 years like that. It wasn't really life, but then it is illegal in Ireland to help someone 'hurry up and die'. Her husband refused to suffer like that so he stayed home and refused to go to hospital and become a vegatible.
    Looks to me like you yourself would like to help certain people hurry up and die. Your clear frustration at a legal system that affords protection to people in that regard is a consequence of the inhuman political ideology you support.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Field Marshal View Post
    Looks to me like you yourself would like to help certain people hurry up and die. Your clear frustration at a legal system that affords protection to people in that regard is a consequence of the inhuman political ideology you support.
    I think it is inhuman to force a body to stay alive when their 'spirit' has clearly departed.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Seems just like a frustrated outburst given the lack of growth in the Japanese economy. Japan has a responsibility to take care of its citizens whether Taro Aso likes it or not.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast