Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cost of doing business set to drop by 200m

Politics.ie Member Marcos the black's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Cost of doing business set to drop by 200m

I know all you lads love good news stories so I was surprised not to see a thread on this:

Bruton's axe set to fall on red tape and save €200m - Irish, Business - Independent.ie

"The Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation estimates that the cost of doing business has fallen by 200m through savings introduced following the streamlining of companies office and health and safety regulations. The rationalisation of State employment agencies will also bring "significant" savings.

State agency Forfas was osmosed back into the department last year and has been examining how to cut the redtape burden, especially with regard to the plethora of licences needed by shops."

Surely this is good news for businesses, and therefore employment prospects in the new year. Costs go down, potential to create employment goes up.

"Start-up companies will save 6m from these new measures, although the savings will be felt across the broader business community".

While not a "silver bullet" solution (not that such a thing exists) but another step on the way.
    As Tesco so often tell us "every little helps"...
    You'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos the black View Post
    I know all you lads love good news stories so I was surprised not to see a thread on this:

Bruton's axe set to fall on red tape and save €200m - Irish, Business - Independent.ie

"The Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation estimates that the cost of doing business has fallen by €200m through savings introduced following the streamlining of companies office and health and safety regulations. The rationalisation of State employment agencies will also bring "significant" savings.

State agency Forfas was osmosed back into the department last year and has been examining how to cut the redtape burden, especially with regard to the plethora of licences needed by shops."

Surely this is good news for businesses, and therefore employment prospects in the new year. Costs go down, potential to create employment goes up.

"Start-up companies will save €6m from these new measures, although the savings will be felt across the broader business community".

While not a "silver bullet" solution (not that such a thing exists) but another step on the way.
    Streamlining Health and Safety regulations. Hmmm. What regulations I wonder? What was the rationale? Cui bono?
    Cry your hardest now, it opens the lungs, washes the countenance, exercises the eyes and softens down the temper. So cry away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bumble View Post
    Streamlining Health and Safety regulations. Hmmm. What regulations I wonder? What was the rationale? Cui bono?
    To everyone's benefit, in the long term?

I call BS as some more regs will be introduced to justify public sector jobs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

To everyone's benefit, in the long term?
    Most likely, unless this streamlining led to injury or death.. It would be interesting to see which regulations were streamlined and why.
    Cry your hardest now, it opens the lungs, washes the countenance, exercises the eyes and softens down the temper. So cry away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by odie1kanobe View Post
    I call BS as some more regs will be introduced to justify public sector jobs.
    Oh if you've called BS they may as well stop what their doing. You're obviously right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bumble View Post
    Most likely, unless this streamlining led to injury or death.. It would be interesting to see which regulations were streamlined and why.
    Streamlining of delivery and inspection etc, not in the actual regulations themselves.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"The Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation estimates that the cost of doing business has fallen by €200m through savings introduced following the streamlining of companies office and health and safety regulations. The rationalisation of State employment agencies will also bring "significant" savings.

"Start-up companies will save €6m from these new measures, although the savings will be felt across the broader business community".

Oh fck me, I must be doing something wrong because I cannot see any difference, ok CRO fine, but I have a friend there and he faster than any computer....

Patent registration up to €175 before anyone beta tests the idea, CEB's wrecking everybodies head....

??????????

Politics.ie Member H.R. Haldeman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There was a restauranteur on Liveline today and the litany of authority costs and regulatory fees and licences she listed was mind boggling. Thousands and thousands of Euro a year on everything from overseeing fat disposal to extra charges for having seats outside. Mad, mad, mad, mad stuff.

If Bruton can pull this off - the article says 33% savings for business - that would be a great start. I'd say it should be 50%, but at least 1/3 would be meaningful.

Politician comes up with number and everybody goes great we are getting rid of red tape.

Ask a business owner and how many times have they seen it before.

Ask politician to prove the number he came up with and in 1 years time to prove among 100 businesses that they have saved the money.

Think the answer to that will be no chance.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast