Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama's Second Inauguration

Politics.ie Member H.R. Haldeman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Obama's Second Inauguration

John King on CNN has just used the words "elegant and artful" to describe Obama's speech, and that's a good description in my opinion. Very nicely constructed and very well delivered. Not that high on soaring rhetoric, but with a very clear and thoughtful focus on the themes of equality and unity. I think history will judge it highly.

There were two very, very striking winners in the speech, and indeed the entire inauguration event.

First, gays. Obama said:

We, the people, declare today that the most evident of truths – that all of us are created equal – is the star that guides us still; just as it guided our forebears through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall; just as it guided all those men and women, sung and unsung, who left footprints along this great Mall, to hear a preacher say that we cannot walk alone; to hear a King proclaim that our individual freedom is inextricably bound to the freedom of every soul on Earth...

...Our journey is not complete until our gay brothers and sisters are treated like anyone else under the law – for if we are truly created equal, then surely the love we commit to one another must be equal as well.
    Transcript: President Obama 2013 inaugural address

To put Stonewall in there with Selma is a major, major moment in gay rights. Even more astonishing for me, the pastor who gave the religious dedication mentioned gays! Religion, Lord save us, is even down with the gays! My jaw hit the floor when that happened. I'm not sure what a President can do about gay marriage at a Federal level, but I think Obama will do as much as the office allows over the next 4 years, perhaps in the final lame-duck period when he won't get much else done but might be able to get consensus on this.

The second big winner was the climate change movement. In a totally unexpected passage, Obama spent several paragraphs on the subject. It seems likely he'll push on climate change, also perhaps in his lame duck years. But the fact he mentioned it at all is a big win for those concerned about climate change.

Here's the full speech:

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by H.R. Haldeman View Post
    John King on CNN has just used the words "elegant and artful" to describe Obama's speech
    Roughly translates as "soporific and sly".

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Israel is a loser here.

That is, Israel with Bibi at the helm. Obama doesn't like him, and now has a 4 year term with no reelection to worry about to deal with the Middle East.

I don't think he's going to invade Israel or anything, but the comfort blankey of the US is becoming a bit more uncomfortable.

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I watched it and wondered who he kept reminding me of in his rhetorical style.

And then I remembered...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another lovely speech. Aww.
    A glorified Bertie, that sums him up.
    The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled, you just become a replica of someone else's mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Israel and the Deficit were passed over.

Damm Right.

He channelled Jefferson, Lincoln, FDR and Kennedy very effectively, but he was at his ever best in his "We, the people ..." passages. Touched all the bases, but it was still the speech of a moderate conservative, with gays, women and climate thrown in.
    "A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence" - David Hume

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    Israel is a loser here.

That is, Israel with Bibi at the helm. Obama doesn't like him, and now has a 4 year term with no reelection to worry about to deal with the Middle East.

I don't think he's going to invade Israel or anything, but the comfort blankey of the US is becoming a bit more uncomfortable.
    You wouldn't think that from the policies of Obama's previous administration!
    The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled, you just become a replica of someone else's mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Israel is a loser here.

I think you mean "to NOT deal with the Middle East" - but then who can blame him, it is a f**king mess over there so it would be hard work and that's not his strong point.
    Clicking an ad a day keeps Politics.ie in business.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Israel is a loser here.

Meanwhile, Israel is about to elect its most right-wing Knesset ever, and the one most out-of-step with US interests as conceived by Barack Obama.

Maybe an interesting four years in store!
    "A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence" - David Hume

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Let's hope the doesn't get all soft and let up on the war crimes like some sort of pussy.
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast