Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The law is an ass, again, as paedophile goes free.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The law is an ass, again, as paedophile goes free.

Surely to God this must be the pits.
    A self-confessed paedophile is granted bail by the sentencing judge to appeal against the same judge's extremely lenient sentence.
    You couldn't make it up.
    Judge Carney imposed a custodial sentence and at the same time granted bail and leave to appeal against the severity of the sentence, in effect inferring to the Court of Criminal Appeal that he erred in his sentencing.
    What a total and utter waste and abuse of the judicial system and judges discretion.
    This flies in the face of all human decency.
    What a betrayal of the traumatised victim who was raped by this vile creature for a ten year period commencing when she was just first holy communion age.
    Bail should never be considered in appeals against severity, especially when a guilty plea is on record.
    Its wrong, no ifs or buts about it, just wrong.

(The victim) said: “He raped me for 10 years and he just walks out of here today. I just can’t believe that this has happened. Last week I felt great. I was vindicated. For him to walk out of here today without serving one day is just devastating.”
    Source: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...reaking39.html
    Last edited by bagel; 21st January 2013 at 07:39 PM. Reason: additional information becoming available that necessitated my correcting inaccuracies in the OP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just heard that on the 4 news, it seems, a tad, er, to put it euphemistically, 'bizarre'?
    After all, tomorrow is another day.

As I understand it, the judge felt that the ill-health of the convicted was such that a custodial sentence was inappropriate. However, the judge did not want to see headlines saying 'suspended sentence', etc...., so instead he gave him 12 years for his crime, suspended the last 9 and released him on bail, pending an appeal by the convicted.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They set the rates, they set the rules. You know who they are.
    There is something pigheaded about Wexford this season, something pigheaded and perverse and oddly beautiful. In certain lights they are starting to look heroic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Activist View Post

They set the rates, they set the rules. You know who they are.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    If you ignore him he may just disappear under an avalanche of tinfoil.

Can't understand why anyone who is give a custodial sentence is released to appeal. You can appeal from prison.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    As I understand it, the judge felt that the ill-health of the convicted was such that a custodial sentence was inappropriate. However, the judge did not want to see headlines saying 'suspended sentence', etc...., so instead he gave him 12 years for his crime, suspended the last 9 and released him on bail, pending an appeal by the convicted.
    My understanding of it is different.
    I may have mistakenly assumed that Judge Carney had imposed the sentence at an earlier date and has now been undermined by another judge granting bail.
    If i'm wrong then i apologise for misleading and i'll amend the opening post accordingly when i obtain clarity.

OP corrected as appropriate
    Last edited by bagel; 21st January 2013 at 07:41 PM. Reason: correction

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why such negativity ?

The Law in this country provides maximum possible income for lawyers.

The rest of the population needs to get with the program and stop complaining.

The more peados, the more crime, the more corruption, the better for the lega profession.

This activity all provides a stimulus for the legal profession, therefore it must be actively encouraged.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Quote Originally Posted by bagel View Post
    My understanding of it is different.
    I may have mistakenly assumed that Judge Carney had imposed the sentence at an earlier date and has now been undermined by another judge granting bail.
    If i'm wrong then i apologise for misleading and i'll amend the opening post accordingly when i obtain clarity.
    Some more detail in this article; the daughter is far from happy.

Mr Justice Paul Carney branded these "heinous crimes", and said it was one of the worst cases of abuse of a daughter one can possibly find.

However he gave consideration to the serious ill health of the accused and suspended most of the sentence.

He said that it was a case fit for an appeal and that such a hearing should be expedited, releasing O'Brien on bail.
    Daughter 'devastated' after rapist father released on bail | Breaking News News - eircom.net

Incidentally, there is no need to apologise.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast