Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Finnish Prime Minister Describes Irish Expectations Of A Special Deal On Banking Debt As Inappropriate

Default Finnish Prime Minister Describes Irish Expectations Of A Special Deal On Banking Debt As Inappropriate

Finnish prime minister Jyrki Katainen opposes any idea of a quick bank deal for Ireland. Jyrki Katainen said "I find it inappropriate, to try and change the rules in the middle of the game. Ireland did an excellent job with its reform programme. But the legacy debt of Irish banks are, above all, a problem of the Irish Government. How we will deal with that, we don't know yet." - Der Spiegel
    Last edited by YouKnowWhatIMeanLike; 21st January 2013 at 03:06 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We are Finnish so.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWhatIMeanLike View Post
    Finnish prime minister Jyrki Katainen opposes any idea of a quick bank deal for Ireland. Jyrki Katainen said "I find it inappropriate, to try and change the rules in the middle of the game. Ireland did excellent job with its reform programme. But the legacy debt of Irish banks are, above all, a problem of the Irish Government. How we will deal with that, we don't know yet." - Der Spiegel
    Must......think......positive,

Who cares lads, it's all a giant farce anyway, let's not stress about

What time does the Obama party start, that'll be fun to watch

Quote Originally Posted by Mrwoody View Post
    We are Finnish so.
    Enda is in for a rough ride. but mostly for bad timing, they are going to review the entire EU bank deal package at the next EU summit in June.

In the meantime Pat Rabbitte is hiding under a wet stone somewhere in Mayo eating his words: "As far as I am concerned I am not paying ..."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Enda is in for a rough ride. but mostly for bad timing, they are going to review the entire EU bank deal package at the next EU summit in June.

In the meantime Pat Rabbitte is hiding under a wet stone somewhere in Mayo eating his words: "As far as I am concerned I am not paying ..."
    It's not only words he's been scoffing, I assume by wet stone you are referring to Croagh Patrick?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do people know how politics works? And what domestic reasons he might have for saying this?

I'd advise people not to worry unduly.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Katainen is referring to the "deal" whereby the ESM takes over the viable banks. This has never been a serious possibility.

The "deal" on the Promissory Notes is separate and is under the auspices of the ECB. There is a very strong likelihood of something happening on this but whether it will be of serious benefit remains uncertain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Finland have been against every proposal to fix the crisis. But stuff has been done anyway.

Mainly they are just bitter because no one helped them in the early 90's when they had a crisis - it was before they joined the EU.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Finnish PM ... how many divisions does he have?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    Finland have been against every proposal to fix the crisis. But stuff has been done anyway.

Mainly they are just bitter because no one helped them in the early 90's when they had a crisis - it was before they joined the EU.
    Mainly they are opposing the idea of pinning them with debt they never had anything to do with in the first place.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast