Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sinn Fein - Welfare fraud. Are they overly lenient on it?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Sinn Fein - Welfare fraud. Are they overly lenient on it?

€50,000 welfare fraudster says €75 repayments are too high - National News - Independent.ie

This fella was working and receiving disability benefit. If so, he should get out and work and pay €75 back in my opinion, what's peoples thoughts on SF's position and on the story in general?

'€50k welfare fraudster says €75 repayments are too high'

"The department has confirmed that the man, who lives in Dublin's north inner city, had claimed a total of €51,305 while he was working between January 2005 and March 2010.

He was getting an invalidity pension, which is given to those who are "permanently incapable" of work because of illness or disability."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mugabe View Post
    €50,000 welfare fraudster says €75 repayments are too high - National News - Independent.ie

This fella was working and receiving disability benefit. If so, he should get out and work and pay €75 back in my opinion, what's peoples thoughts on SF's position and on the story in general?

'€50k welfare fraudster says €75 repayments are too high'

"The department has confirmed that the man, who lives in Dublin's north inner city, had claimed a total of €51,305 while he was working between January 2005 and March 2010.

He was getting an invalidity pension, which is given to those who are "permanently incapable" of work because of illness or disability."
    Thats just scumbaggery...he needs to pay it back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It shouldn't be call paying back , when you defraud social welfare , and able to claim social welfare after such fraud. It should be known as reduced payment, in lieu of the fraud and the man in question should be greatful his getting anything. What a joke of a country when crime really pays. As for SF I said it on another thread, they have never believed in the motto, you do the crime , you do the time. Bad mistake from MaryLou.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I read the story and I am a bit puzzled about it. People on a disability payment are sometimes allowed to work- but only if the department approves in advance to the work proposed. The work must be beneficial to the health of the person and is in most cases only a limited number of hours per week.
    It depends now what some people consider work. May be he just sat somewhere as a night guard and did not nothing but sitting on a chair. Even a person in a wheelchair could do that.
    It looks to me that it was a case where your man just took on some hours and did not tell the department about it.
    The department is refusing to tell what sort of work your man did. They also did not bring him to court.If it was a clear case of full time working as- let's say a blocklayer, which needs a healthy body- they could have said so in the open. But they keep their mouth closed- which makes me thinking.The fact that he still gets an invalidity pension tells me that he was not well in the past either and still is a sick person. Otherwise the department would have stripped him of the pension. The case has a certain smell....
    I reckon' it is one of those borderline decisions and used by the department to bolster it's own case on rooting out fraudsters.
    I think the man should be given a fair chance to pay the money back. They should leave him enough to live on and not drag him further down.
    Of course SF turns it into a political football and some people jump on the bandwaggon to lambast people on social welfare to live out their own neurotic aggressions....

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

"In no way am I condoning any individual who would try to be sly with the system. The department should look for the money back but they have to make sure that the people paying back aren't left in a situation where they are destitute," she said.
    Now, one or two of you may have noticed that I'm not in the MaryLou fanclub, but I'm struggling to see what's wrong with this position.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What is SF position on Bev Cooper Flynn giving two fingers to our courts, us and RTE by failing to repay costs to RTE totaling 1.5m Euros awarded in the case.

Will SF be making a statement?
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    Now, one or two of you may have noticed that I'm not in the MaryLou fanclub, but I'm struggling to see what's wrong with this position.

Get on board, it's a shinner kicking thread.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    Get on board, it's a shinner kicking thread.
    Ah! I usually spot that one. I'm outraged, or something.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    What is SF position on Bev Cooper Flynn giving two fingers to our courts, us and RTE by failing to repay costs to RTE totaling 1.5m Euros awarded in the case.

Will SF be making a statement?
    Well, now that you've suggested it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    Well, now that you've suggested it...

As per usual SF silence on the subject is deafening!!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast