Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Surely Something Is Seriously Wrong Somewhere!

Politics.ie Member General Urko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Surely Something Is Seriously Wrong Somewhere!

I haven't seen any thread on this and it deserves one. It was reported in the Sindo that TDs are exempt from paying rates on their constituency offices whereas registered charities are not (well certainly not on their shops).
    Relevant link Charity forced to pay rates but Enda escapes scot-free - National News - Independent.ie
    It's actually crucifying some charities! Surely we have this the wrong way around and the TDs should do the decent thing and draft laws making themselves pay up without any additional expenses to cover it and registered charities should be exempt (provided they're not paying absurd salaries and expenses to CEOs, which would make even a TD blush!)
    In the meantime, all TDs should be made adopt a registered charity in their constituency and pay its rates!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just remember when the general election results are announced in the count centre the TD's supporter hoist him/her in the air ! FREE MONEY FOR YEARS FOR DOING NOTHING.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Every business/charity/community centre/TD's Clinc etc should pay rates. The more broadbased the tax the less lightly the local councils would be to keep increaing the rates to make up for ineffiencies in how they run the councils.
    Clicking an ad a day keeps Politics.ie in business.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Every right minded person in the country would agree with you. There's just no end to it is there? As my late Dad would have said "It's a thundering disgrace" no doubt about it. They are living off our backs and that simply isn't right.

I wonder if they'll be looking for rates from the Twist Soup Kitchens as well? No doubt they will.

The whole damned lot of them should be hanging their heads in shame.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManOfReason View Post
    Every business/charity/community centre/TD's Clinc etc should pay rates. The more broadbased the tax the less lightly the local councils would be to keep increaing the rates to make up for ineffiencies in how they run the councils.
    No, I don't think so. The more broadbased the tax the more money in the pot for them. That's how it's been for years now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by elliebee View Post
    Every right minded person in the country would agree with you. There's just no end to it is there? As my late Dad would have said "It's a thundering disgrace" no doubt about it. They are living off our backs and that simply isn't right.

I wonder if they'll be looking for rates from the Twist Soup Kitchens as well? No doubt they will.

The whole damned lot of them should be hanging their heads in shame.
    My local council is doing its damndist to have the local Twist soup kitchen actually closed, probably under instructions from a few stomach churning public representatives who are embarrassed that it has come to this, thanks largely through their criminal mismanagement of the economy!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManOfReason View Post
    No, I don't think so. The more broadbased the tax the more money in the pot for them. That's how it's been for years now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Of course there are also a few national charities out there extracting the urine big time as evidenced by the money that their boards pay their CEOs who actually appointed them in the first place!
    Or founding CEOs placing their adult children in 100K per year admin jobs in the office next door!
    And some CEOs with political connections on tons of quangoes and overpaid beyond belief at their main charity job! There has been one very well reported on instance of this abuse!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by elliebee View Post
    So the few remaing small shops in rural towns should carry the burnden of funding the council, with rates being increased every year to make up for the ever decreasing number of shops? Good luck with that.
    Clicking an ad a day keeps Politics.ie in business.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Urko View Post
    My local council is doing its damndist to have the local Twist soup kitchen actually closed, probably under instructions from a few stomach churning public representatives who are embarrassed that it has come to this, thanks largely through their criminal mismanagement of the economy!
    That is just so so wrong. I hope the locals don't allow them to get away with that. That is surely serious street protest stuff. They have so much squeezed out of people they cannot afford to eat and now the Councillors don't WANT them to eat. This just goes from bad to worse.

Trevelyan wouldn't have a look in with this lot!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast