Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: They finally got round to burying Ned Kelly

Politics.ie Member Little_Korean's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default They finally got round to burying Ned Kelly

One of the Irish dispora's most famous sons Down Under has been burired today at long last:

Ned Kelly: The outlaw who divides a nation

More than 130 years after he was hanged, Australia's most notorious outlaw is being buried, as old tensions resurface about what he really means to the country.

To many Australians, Ned Kelly, the son of poor Irish Catholics, was a heroic anti-establishment figure who fought corrupt British colonists in the 19th Century.

To others, he was a vicious thug who murdered three police officers.

Kelly's descendants have insisted that by burying him, they were not seeking to glorify the notorious bandit, but to give him a dignified and proper farewell.
    And in case you were wondering like me why he hadn't been buried before:

His body was put into a wooden box and dumped into a mass grave with the corpses of other prisoners. It wasn't until 2010 that DNA testing finally confirmed the identity of Kelly's remains.
    I remember being fascinated as a kid by stories of Kelly slugging it out in his home-made armour until the coppers figured to just shoot at his exposed legs. Otherwise, the worldwide fame of the man in a bit baffling, considering how he never achieved much - were Irish desperados that rare that Australia that he was the obvious centre of attention? A symbol of frustrated Irish Catholic plight in a country many had been deported to? Or does Australia's status as a a relatively recent country mean it has to look harder for icons and folk-heroes? All that talk of the Ozzie love of the underdog strikes me as a little BS, considering how well they treat their Aborginals and immigrants.

In death, as in life, he remains a polarising figure, and nowhere more so than in the community where relatives of the police officers he killed still live alongside Kelly's own descendants.

"There is still conflict over Kelly," says Peter Norden, an adjunct professor at Melbourne's RMIT University and former chaplain at Pentridge prison where the outlaw's remains were discovered.

"He is going to be buried in an unmarked grave to minimise the danger of vandalism. There are a lot of people local to where his family lived where there is still a lot of resentment and antagonism towards his descendants."
    Surely 150 years is long enough to let go of a family grudge? I guess a lot of Irish spirit still remains there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I hadn't realised he'd kicked the bucket.

I'll get my coat...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Didn't Mick Jagger play Ned Kelly in a movie years ago. I remember bawling my eyes out at the closing scenes where they are hanging him. The sound of his heart thumping like crazy and getting faster when the rope went round his neck and then silence. That's all I can remember.

By the way, I don't think the Aussies (well,European invaders) treated the aborigines well at all. The New Zealand crowd did better, much better, apart from wiping out the dodos and other lovely creatures whose names I can't remember because my brain as no doubt you will all agree is rapidly diminishing. Bring on the fish oil.
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results: I present, The Irish politcal system: Thank you Einstein

Politics.ie Member Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sir Sidney Nolan's iconic painting of a man who dominated the landscape:

The truth of an idea is not a stagnant property inherent in it. Truth happens to an idea. It becomes true, is made true by events.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Imagine a 150 years on, on Ned would have used the human rights act, had people lining up to say he came from a disordered home, his mother could have claimed a fortune in benefits, he would have being able to sure the state and been on reality tv shows.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tigerben View Post
    Imagine a 150 years on, on Ned would have used the human rights act, had people lining up to say he came from a disordered home, his mother could have claimed a fortune in benefits, he would have being able to sure the state and been on reality tv shows.
    He's be called a murdering, gurrier scumbag on P.ie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bullets bounced off Ned Kelly "like hail" as the Australian outlaw made his last stand, according to an eyewitness account in a letter that has surfaced more than 130 years after his capture.

Dramatic letter details Australian outlaw Ned Kelly's capture | Reuters
    "You think thats bad,theres one lunatic that posts on there 40-50 times a day..He's alone..in bad company!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The colonial police in Oz were worse than the RUC in their bigotry - and that takes some doing!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Levellers View Post
    The colonial police in Oz were worse than the RUC in their bigotry - and that takes some doing!
    You must be extremely long in the tooth, not to mention wel travelled, to know that.

Politics.ie Member Little_Korean's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Levellers View Post
    Bigoted in what way? Because one of the policemen he killed was named Kennedy, another he wounded was Fitzpatrick - pretty Irish-sounding names there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast