Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is Shatter covering up failure of prison visiting committee?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Why is Shatter covering up failure of prison visiting committee?

Alan Shatter has refused to publish a report by the prison-visiting committee of St Patrick’s Institute for Young Offenders because it failed to identify serious issues detected by the Inspector of Prisons.

The committee - all political appointees - clearly failed to their job properly, and identify the litany of abuse listed by Judge O'Reilly (all of which was accepted by Shatter). Was this because of idleness, incompetence or indifference? or some variation of Stockholm Syndrome where they came to identify with the prison staff?

Whatever the reason the public are entitled to see the unvarnished report and come to their own conclusion. But yet again, Shatter has reneged on FG's promise of more openness in government.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...329049390.html
    Last edited by Thady Quill; 20th January 2013 at 08:02 PM. Reason: add link
    It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry. -Thomas Paine, philosopher and writer (1737-1809)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I notice you didn't bother with a link. So either through laziness or design, you fail to mention the fact that this isn't the final report. It's been submitted and sent back for review specifically because it didn't reflect the judges findings.

It's what an adult in his position would do: send it back for further work to address the possible HUman rights issues as opposed to getting to getting into some stupid public battle with them.

Shatter refuses to publish prison report - The Irish Times - Sat, Jan 19, 2013

However, Mr Shatter has asked the St Patrick’s committee to “review” its 2011 report and draft an amended version that would take into account Judge Reilly’s much more damning findings.
    I don't disagree that they appear to need to change the scope and manner of their reviews, but by Shatter making them go away and revise the report/review, he's taking real steps to affect those changes. I don't see what benefit there would be in accepting and publicising a mediocre review. Get them to do a proper review.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    I notice you didn't bother with a link. So either through laziness or design, you fail to mention the fact that this isn't the final report. It's been submitted and sent back for review specifically because it didn't reflect the judges findings.

It's what an adult in his position would do: send it back for further work to address the possible HUman rights issues as opposed to getting to getting into some stupid public battle with them.

Shatter refuses to publish prison report - The Irish Times - Sat, Jan 19, 2013

I don't disagree that they appear to need to change the scope and manner of their reviews, but by Shatter making them go away and revise the report/review, he's taking real steps to affect those changes. I don't see what benefit there would be in accepting and publicising a mediocre review. Get them to do a proper review.
    Look again -there is a link.
    And we want to see the original report so we know what they really thought.
    It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry. -Thomas Paine, philosopher and writer (1737-1809)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Who cares? It's not the final report. It just seems a bit ludicrous to me. I have people who work for me producing reports. If it's not to my standards I send it back to them and tell them to fix it. I don't submit it as the final version and send it to my managers and publicise it and then "Hey look at what a rubbish job my people did!!!!!!!"
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is it cause he's Jewish?
    Сохранить Украины

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drummed View Post
    Is it cause he's Jewish?

You beat me to it.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think the man is entitled to make sure the report is accurate, the very same people would be giving out if Shatter published a report that was found to be inaccurate. You can't win sometimes. And asking for a review is not ordering a change, and no one should try to imply that either, they may very well review it and decide there's nothing wrong with it and publish it anyway, unlikely, but still a possibility. Give the man a chance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    You beat me to it.
    Me too! Bloody tricky sneaky Kilkenny bogger - actually, Drummed is clearly a Jew too. Can't trust em, sneaky sods!

Good Lord, even deepest Kilkenny has em now!
    Brexit? Never heard of it mate...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blokesbloke View Post
    Me too! Bloody tricky sneaky Kilkenny bogger - actually, Drummed is clearly a Jew too. Can't trust em, sneaky sods!

Culchie Jews.

Nowt worse.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The visiting committee is a political jolly junket.
    Guys from Cork go to Donegal and visa versa.
    Part of the quango culture.
    Its only a chat, we ain't the world council.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast