Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: " It's Time to Ban Private Schools"

Politics.ie Member Windowshopper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default " It's Time to Ban Private Schools"

Just came across this article today (though it is a couple of months old) by Mahdi Hasan (currently HuffingtonPost UK and Al Jezerea, and formerly of the New Statesman) in which he advocates the abolition of British public (i.e. private schools) schools. While private schools graduates don't dominate Irish society to the same extend as they do their British equivalents I found the article interesting. Do private schools give an unfair advantage to students and therefore they should be scrapped or do private schools represent a vital parental choice?

As a funny aside I was watching the Sunday Politics on BBC this morning where the former Schools Minister (2010-12) Nick Gibb MP (Con.) was praising the Finnish education system possibly unaware that it is complete state funded (according to Hasan's article anyway).

Mehdi Hasan: Warren Buffett Is Right: It's Time to Ban Private Schools

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

People who can afford have a right to send their children to be educated where they wish. Anyway, it saves the State money as the private schools pay for everything bar teachers pay, which would have to be paid regardless in an increased number of public schools due to the hypothetical banning.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ban them ? Not sure , but they shouldn't be subsidised in any way by the state and that includes tax breaks. Please don't give me the " if they the childern didn't got to private schools they would be a burden on the state " . If you want to send to private school fine , but you pay the rate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    People who can afford have a right to send their children to be educated where they wish. Anyway, it saves the State money as the private schools pay for everything bar teachers pay, which would have to be paid regardless in an increased number of public schools due to the hypothetical banning.
    But I think the thrust of the article is that it gives an unearned advantage over their peers. As for the cost the state could save money by getting out of education altogether and thus leaving it education to those who can afford it to get an education but we don't do that because it would be recognized as being fundamentally unfair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    it saves the State money as the private schools pay for everything bar teachers pay
    Which just happens to be where the vast majority of the cost of running a school lies. . . In teachers pay.

People who pay for private schools for their kids are paying for their children to be socially excluded from members of society who cannot afford to send their kids to that school (i.e. the poor)

Ramps

Yes; ban them, by all means. Then ban parents' reading to their children at night, teaching them to say 'please and thank you', and feeding them healthy food.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toconn View Post
    Ban them ? Not sure , but they shouldn't be subsidised in any way by the state and that includes tax breaks. Please don't give me the " if they the childern didn't got to private schools they would be a burden on the state " . If you want to send to private school fine , but you pay the rate.
    They do and while they're at it they pay for your kids too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toconn View Post
    Or funnily enough one could probably attack school subsidies from a purely capitalist stand point of if its needs state subsidies to survive than its a failed enterprise.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RobertW View Post
    Which just happens to be where the vast majority of the cost of running a school lies. . . In teachers pay.

People who pay for private schools for their kids are paying for their children to be socially excluded from members of society who cannot afford to send their kids to that school (i.e. the poor)
    The poor will be poor regardless if the have snobby kids in their class. It's not an argument for preventing people choosing their education in my opinion.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Ramps

Quote Originally Posted by RobertW View Post

So what? What business is it of the State? Does the State own you and your children?

Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast