Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 344

Thread: Cowen, and the agenda of even less public accountability

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Analyzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Posts
    46,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Cowen, and the agenda of even less public accountability

    In the last two decades we have seen increasingly less accountability from public institutions and politicians.

    Brian Cowen is on a public pension of an astromical scale, despite massively failing as a Minister for Finance, and as Taoiseach.

    Now, we are being told that Cowen will lodge a complaint against the Press Ombudsman concerning his post graduate studies in California.

    Cowen privacy case may open floodgates for the fallen elite - National News - Independent.ie

    We already have a greatly constrained press in this country. It is beholden to vested interests. Even more alarmingly, it can spend long times witholding news, at the behest of vested interests, in such a manner as to prevent the people knowing about the scams that predominate in Irish life. I am talking about scams like the property boom, Eircom Shares, bank shares, buyign property abroad, etc...

    Often the Irish media only publishes information on the scandals that occur, when they have been completed, and reporting is necessary to help the media save it's crediblity - but so as not to endanger the beneficiaries.

    We need more accountability, more public information, and not less. And we need it to happen faster. This is about the public interest, and not about the interest of the gombeen element in Irish society.

    We are heading down the road where even more gombeenism will be rife in this country, in an even mroe fearless, and brazen manner than before. And that is saying something.

    Do you want this country to be an honest country ?
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Catalpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Planet Blanchardstown
    Posts
    25,467
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Default

    Surprised there is not more comment on this one already

    Cowen is getting 150,000 euros of OUR money

    So I think what he does with it is our business!
    Last edited by Catalpast; 20th January 2013 at 03:54 PM.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member tigerben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Midleton
    Posts
    4,621
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    So he wants to be a private person on a huge public pension, paid for by taxpayers out of current expenditure as all are , I think now are paid. If he wants to be private, I hope he had no phone, office or staff allowance, driver or gardai outside his house if he is crying out his a private citizen!

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    610
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    In the last two decades we have seen increasingly less accountability from public institutions and politicians.

    Brian Cowen is on a public pension of an astromical scale, despite massively failing as a Minister for Finance, and as Taoiseach.

    Now, we are being told that Cowen will lodge a complaint against the Press Ombudsman concerning his post graduate studies in California.

    Cowen privacy case may open floodgates for the fallen elite - National News - Independent.ie

    We already have a greatly constrained press in this country. It is beholden to vested interests. Even more alarmingly, it can spend long times witholding news, at the behest of vested interests, in such a manner as to prevent the people knowing about the scams that predominate in Irish life. I am talking about scams like the property boom, Eircom Shares, bank shares, buyign property abroad, etc...

    Often the Irish media only publishes information on the scandals that occur, when they have been completed, and reporting is necessary to help the media save it's crediblity - but so as not to endanger the beneficiaries.

    We need more accountability, more public information, and not less. And we need it to happen faster. This is about the public interest, and not about the interest of the gombeen element in Irish society.

    We are heading down the road where even more gombeenism will be rife in this country, in an even mroe fearless, and brazen manner than before. And that is saying something.

    Do you want this country to be an honest country ?
    One of the best holds we have over politicians is their aspiration to earn a place in history and leave a well regarded reputation behind them. Most politicians have big egos.

    Unfortunately Mr Cowen's ego was much bigger than his ability as a Minister or Taoiseach. The least we are entitled to do with politicians is to judge them on the basis of truthful facts.

    All of a politician's life is very much our business !

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Sister Mercedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    20,663
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The photos and interview were at Stanford University. I can't imagine that there are "privacy" laws in California that would protect him from the press, especially as he would be considered a public figure.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,905
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    So,nothing has changed. All Cowan ever had to offer was a surly sense of entitlement. But,on the plus side- thank God he's gone.The drinks were never on him.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member sic transit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    24,799
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I actually think he has a point in relation to the course last year, No-one's business except his and it has no news benefit other than to sate our continuing obsession with finding people to blame.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    10,004
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Didn't Brian 'I intend doing more early morning interviews' Cowen court publicity all his paid public life. As long as he keeps taking public money, then part of him still belongs to the public.

    Anyway why doesn't he go after Conor Casby for showing pictures of him that never even existed.

    (Put up a link Analyzer; am on the dog and bone here).
    Heaven and Earth Meet in the Human Heart!

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    610
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Catalpast View Post
    Surprised there is not more comment on this one already

    Cowen is getting 150,000 euros of OUR money

    So I think what he does with is our business!
    Megabucks pensions foe ex-Taoiseach - Irish Daily Star | Irish Daily Star

    How are Cowen and Ahern on pensions entitlements of over 150K a year for doing nothing?
    Mind you we would have been cheaper giving them 150K a year for the last 15 years than having them in Government!
    How do they get more than 75% of Kennys salary for doing nothing?

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,497
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sic transit View Post
    I actually think he has a point in relation to the course last year, No-one's business except his and it has no news benefit other than to sate our continuing obsession with finding people to blame.
    To be fair, are people who are paying the price not entitled to know who is to blame?

Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •