Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 149 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Dublin - Gerry Adams in call for border poll on partition and Irish unity.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Dublin - Gerry Adams in call for border poll on partition and Irish unity.

RTE New has said that Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams has called for a border poll on partition and Irish unity. I'm not a member of Sinn Féin, but this is a huge issue for this part of the Island, and I think the 'idea' of what a United Ireland would look like, is something that should be debated in public. I'd expected one of the pro-Sinn Féin posters to do a thread, and as none of them bothered, I decided to do it. Bare in mind I'm not a shinner, 'fore anyone starts throwing tantrums. I'd appretiate if anyone decides to comment that they concentrate on the 'theme', and refrain from abusive comments or trolling.. How will it affect your family? Your job? The team you follow? What would happen if we threw our euros in with their Sterling?

Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams has called for a border poll on partition and Irish unity during the lifetime of the next Northern Ireland Assembly.

Launching his party's campaign on the issue, Mr Adams insisted a single economy would be good for prosperity jobs and investment

The Good Friday Agreement allows for a referendum within the North on unity - the so-called Border Poll.

Sinn Féin has now stepped up its campaign for the plebiscite.

Speaking at a special conference in Dublin Mr Adams told delegates that the Northern state had been gerrymandered to allow for a permanent Unionist majority.

However, he said the latest census figures showed only 40% of people there claimed an exclusively British identity.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

If he's asking for a vote in NI on whether or not to join with the Republic then fine. If he's looking to splinter off elements of NI (i.e letting 2 counties move to the ROI) then he's just playing silly beggers and knows it will never ever go to a vote.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member Sister Mercedes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What is a "Border Poll"? A poll of SF Members?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    If he's asking for a vote in NI on whether or not to join with the Republic then fine. If he's looking to splinter off elements of NI (i.e letting 2 counties move to the ROI) then he's just playing silly beggers and knows it will never ever go to a vote.

Oh but think of the fun we'll have when the Sindo publishes a Red C poll on the subject.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Not so sure what he is playing at here

- the last thing SF need in the North is re partition

One day some day Ireland will be re united

- but it is not going to happen on his timeframe...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Where do you get these strange notions?
    The Empire's Over - Why Don't You Go Home?

Politics.ie Member cottage_economist's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm all for it. At the moment all of us in ROI owe around 15,000 apiece as our share of the bank bailout, bondholder payments etc etc. Adding the 1.8 million people of NI would bring this down to 10,000 euro. All figures are rough so don't be looking up trade figures or co-co's, you get the gist I'm sure.

All we have to do is con the Nordies into joining our happy throng. Get to it, Gerry!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpast View Post
    Not so sure what he is playing at here

- the last thing SF need in the North is re partition

One day some day Ireland will be re united

- but it is not going to happen on his timeframe...
    Who, apart from Sync, mentioned re-partition?
    The Empire's Over - Why Don't You Go Home?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No one in their right mind would consider repartition. Sync, you know better and you know noone would ever suggest it.

It's a topic i'm interested in too.
    Fair play to SF for doing this even if it should have been done sooner.
    This issue doesn't belong to SF. It belong to every party and if it's bring on a debate even if the majority oppose the idea then I welcome that. It needs to be on the agenda.

A big danger here is the idea that the 26 Counties would absorb the 6 Counties.
    That's going to be a problem. That idea needs to be buried along with repartition.

A new country should be created, not from scratch but not in the mould of the 26 Counties or the 6 Counties.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by picador View Post
    Who, apart from Sync, mentioned re-partition?
    he is a mod, but can be the worst sort of troll here sometimes
    "If we VOTE YES there will be no more austere budgets. Fact " Hammer, mayday 12'

Page 1 of 149 123451151101 ... LastLast