Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Appropiate punishment

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Appropiate punishment

In my daughters school a group of girls were caught stealing from some well known shops while on a school day out. The girls got a day and a half suspension. I think it is a terrible message to deliver to young girls that this is all the punishment they will receive, apparently is was collectively up to €600 worth of items. My daughter and her friends think is was very lenient and they said they can get away with anything now.

What sort of message has this sent out to the young people? Are other schools this lenient as well?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by catlaw5819 View Post
    In my daughters school a group of girls were caught stealing from some well known shops while on a school day out. The girls got a day and a half suspension. I think it is a terrible message to deliver to young girls that this is all the punishment they will receive, apparently is was collectively up to €600 worth of items. My daughter and her friends think is was very lenient and they said they can get away with anything now.

What sort of message has this sent out to the young people? Are other schools this lenient as well?
    it is lenient. the schools rep has been tarnished. the guards should have been notified.

I know of a politician's child who was caught dealing drugs in school. The principal wanted to have them expelled but the politician threatened legal action and the principal backed down.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What ever happened to a good spanking ....... Seanie goes to have a shower.....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

How old are they? I'd opt for a tougher suspension, but urge the shopowner to prosecute.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

nothing happens in a vacuum, its all I say... criticizing the law is another story...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hard to tell without all the story but it does seem very lenient. I know of one working class secondary school where a pupil was suspended for a week for selling single cigarettes to other pupils.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would have been more afraid of the reaction of my parents if I was involved in something like that, letting them and the family down as well . No doubt these days it will be the general " ah sure what harm" that's kids for ya ! Frankly they should be threatened with expulsion and then the guards should frighten the ************************ out of them with potential consequences.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It depends too on the parents, were the girls made go and say sorry , were parents informed by the school or the gardai. Is there going to be a liaison Garda brought in to the school along with a shop owner on how shop lifting can give you a criminal record and the effects on the shop itself? These girls were'nt shop lifting out of need , children even in these recessionary days get their make brought , the hair extensions brought , the trainers and clothes brought along with at least 20 € weekly and money for discos, and the lastest craze money for meals out on friends birthdays. So it was just the thrill of it.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You may not know the full story outlaw; you can be sure that the shops were consulted.

But you're right about the message being sent out. Never mind being suspended for a day, some sort of recompense would need to have been seen to be done in order to send the right mesage to the whole school. If they went before a Judge community hours would be handed down.

Three hours every Saturday for two months picking chewing gum from the footpath outside the shops they stole from would halt their gallop and send the appropriate message.
    Heaven and Earth Meet in the Human Heart!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My son started first year this year. A friend of his was jumped by a group of third years at break time. Hurt the poor chap. My son and mates went to the Principal. Who went mad, called in the parents of the group of third years, suspended them for two days, and gave a very "forceful" talk at assembly about how behavior like this wouldn't be tolerated.

I was at first disappointed with the short suspension, but on reflection, I don't think these lads will step out of line again having seen the Principals reaction.
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast