Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: No jobs out there?

Politics.ie Member Marcos the black's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default No jobs out there?

World class company can

Came across this in the kk people today. A good diversity of jobs too, not just manual, low value jobs:

" The current employment opportunities in Kilkenny are in: Telesales (English, Polish, German speaking); telesales (evening shifts); financial accountant, group accountant; human resources professional, commercial sales manager and communications executive. Last year TaxBack created a total of 45 new jobs within Ireland."

Surely they must be flooded with applications, giving the recession and unemployment level... But:

"......are looking for staff in a number of areas yet the positions remain unfilled. “We are talking about good quality jobs here,” head of HR with the group, Paul Deegan said."

"At present they are employment opportunities for 13 people and by the year’s end, they hope to have a total of 40 jobs offered and filled. He has noticed that people who are unemployed have lost their confidence"

I don't know the unemployment figure in KK, but to have these jobs remaining unfilled certainly poses questions as to why these jobs cannot be filled locally. English speaking jobs too, so one would thinking that there would not be that much training involved?
    You'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How long would it take to retrain people on the dole to fill these positions? Unemployment is low in those professions.

Half the tradesman on the dole dont even have Leaving Cert. They make up and huge number on the dole. They arent working again unless we follow the PSF plan to build houses we dont need.

They should be forced to retrain or their dole taken away.

Politics.ie Member Marcos the black's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thegregster View Post
    How long would it take to retrain people on the dole to fill these positions? Unemployment is low in those professions.

Half the tradesman on the dole dont even have Leaving Cert. They make up and huge number on the dole. They arent working again unless we follow the PSF plan to build houses we dont need.

They should be forced to retrain or their dole taken away.
    Retrain for English telesales reps? Surely all you need is a script, product/service knowledge and a customer friendly approach?
    You'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos the black View Post
    Retrain for English telesales reps? Surely all you need is a script, product/service knowledge and a customer friendly approach?
    Fair enough-I though you might need a foreign language as well. But those jobs are notoriously poorly paid and very boring(I accept beggars cant be choosers.)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Advertising for jobs like that is just cherry picking to see whos out there and it looks like the company is doing well constantly looking foe people gets people talking, its cheap PR.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That guy should register a brand new company, offer the 40 jobs again, and get Enda to come down and cut the ribbon.

And we can all celebrate his magnificence.

Again!
    Heaven and Earth Meet in the Human Heart!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The important line in the link is

"unemployed have lost their confidence"

Big issue for many, I'd guess, and if I were unemployed for a while, I have no doubt i would feel the same way too.

I don't know what the solution is.

Just think it is not all about no one wanting the jobs, some might feel they can't do those jobs anymore.

Let's have a heart, and try to walk in someone else's shoes.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Customer friendly approach would be a difficult concept for most Irish tradesmen!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

World class company can

Came across this in the kk people today. A good diversity of jobs too, not just manual, low value jobs:

" The current employment opportunities in Kilkenny are in: Telesales (English, Polish, German speaking); telesales (evening shifts); financial accountant, group accountant; human resources professional, commercial sales manager and communications executive. Last year TaxBack created a total of 45 new jobs within Ireland."

Surely they must be flooded with applications, giving the recession and unemployment level... But:

"......are looking for staff in a number of areas yet the positions remain unfilled. “We are talking about good quality jobs here,” head of HR with the group, Paul Deegan said."

"At present they are employment opportunities for 13 people and by the year’s end, they hope to have a total of 40 jobs offered and filled. He has noticed that people who are unemployed have lost their confidence"

I don't know the unemployment figure in KK, but to have these jobs remaining unfilled certainly poses questions as to why these jobs cannot be filled locally. English speaking jobs too, so one would thinking that there would not be that much training involved?
    Sounds like a bit of mick o'leary style free publicity to me. Seems unlikely that there aren't 13 suitably qualified people who haven't lost their confidence in Kilkenny. What are the pay rates, I wonder?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Would need more information but something doesn't smell right? I'd like to see the pay, terms and conditions on offer - some people seem to believe any job is a good job but I know many firms are taking advantage of peoples desperation, not saying it is the case in these two cases but it does make one wonder.

As I was told by a friend who works in HR, telling someone they are 'overqualified' is a way of saying you would have far too much intelligence, education and self respect to put up with the awful role on offer.

I work for myself now and it was the best decision I have ever made.
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast