Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick, check behind the couch! the banks might need more money (well, so says Standard and Poor’s)

Default Quick, check behind the couch! the banks might need more money (well, so says Standard and Poor’s)

Well, having used up all other resources, sold our kids, etc., the couch might be our last resort.

Banks will need more capital - Standard & Poor's - RTÉ News

Ratings agency Standard and Poor's has said it believes Irish banks will need to raise additional capital.
    In a new report, the agency said it can not see the Government being able to quickly exit or reduce its support for the banks.
    Despite €64 billion in funding from the state, Standard and Poor's said it is not convinced the Irish banks are out of the woods.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That would go along with Honohan warning the banks not to be lenient with borrowers.

Patrick Honohan warns banks not to be ‘too lenient’ on borrowers - Latest News, Personal Finance - Independent.ie
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Which part of "not another cent" do they not understand?

Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post
    That would go along with Honohan warning the banks not to be lenient with borrowers.

Patrick Honohan warns banks not to be ‘too lenient’ on borrowers - Latest News, Personal Finance - Independent.ie
    As if they needed to be told that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post

Contained in that report is a great example of the role media can play in the way our world works.

Honohan also said: "Too much reluctance to face up to reality about unsustainable debts will also delay the economic recovery."

Now, if that had been the headline, rather than the other statement, what way would the news cycle be working today? How much more confident would people feel in negotiations with their banks?

Instead, the banks are effectively getting public backing from the top man in the Central Bank.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    Contained in that report is a great example of the role media can play in the way our world works.

Honohan also said: "Too much reluctance to face up to reality about unsustainable debts will also delay the economic recovery."

Now, if that had been the headline, rather than the other statement, what way would the news cycle be working today? How much more confident would people feel in negotiations with their banks?

Instead, the banks are effectively getting public backing from the top man in the Central Bank.
    Good point, but it is the first concept that is easier to condense into a headline so that could be why they went with it.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We will send our expert on this subject into the fray.....

Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

According to the RTE TV lunchtime news S&P also said, in the same report, that there would be a drop in house prices of one percent this year, and that next year, house prices would be flat.

Peronally, I hope they're right, but I'm heavily of the opinion that all ratings agencies just make it up as they go along.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We are still fuccked no matter what we do, Austerity is not working and will not work. time for a new way .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The sky doesn`t seem top have fallen in yet though.

Lets see what comes out of the Cabinet meeting on the job crisis.

I hope Bruton announces the €5,000 payment to employers for new staff taken on from the long term live register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast