Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fix bayonets - Willie O'Dea wants the Irish Army patrolling the countryside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Fix bayonets - Willie O'Dea wants the Irish Army patrolling the countryside.

My Goodness, Fianna Fail have a right pair of clowns in a double act here in Limerick with Willie O'Dea and Niall Collins.

O'Dea's latest publicity gambit is to call for the Army to be drafted in to help combat crime .

A soldier in every hedgerow?

OAPs relieved over U-turn on panic buttons - News, Frontpage - Herald.ie

"Meanwhile, the Army should be drafted in to help gardai in patrolling rural areas, former defence minister Willie O'Dea said."

Don't get me wrong. We all know something drastic needs to be done but O'Dea knows that there is zero chance of the army being drafted in. Its the equivalent of those "Bring back the Birtch" calls so loved by the tabloids. While many like the idea we all know that it will never happen. O'Dea needs to stop distracting the grown ups as they try deal with the serious issue of rural crime. It's like O'Dea is quoting a couple lads he overheard solving the worlds problems over a few pints.

I wonder does O'Dea ever stop to think before talking to the media? Has he anything positive to contribute ?

In the past month he has had a go at Satanists, gave a laughable interview to the Limerick Leader about writing his memoirs and now he is looking for the country side to be militarised. I can't wait to see what he comes up with next.

Clearly O'Dea is a man badly addicted to publicity but in reality has nothing worthwhile to say.

Of course O'Dea could have pushed for army involvement when he was junior minister for justice or Minister for Defence, but I don't recall him doing anything along those lines.

Last edited by williewatch; 16th January 2013 at 05:06 PM.

Politics.ie Member LamportsEdge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Basically Willie O'Dea has come up with a wheeze that allows him to say he's tackling crime in rural and suburban Limerick at no cost to Limerick taxpayers.

Pity he didn't think of it when he was Minister of Defence and therefore in a position to make recommendations on the usage of the Defence Forces.

Then again as Willie is probably aware there were most likely reasons why that wasn't practical or desirable.

Willie kite flying for Willie's career. Perhaps next he could examine the possibility of distracting criminals from crime by legalising brothels.
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Something needs to be done. The danger is that Sutter might decide to bring the army in to replace gardai who he intends to throw off the payroll. Anything for the Anglo Bondholders.

Crime is definitely out of control. I have been told by a garda in the Midlands, of rural dwellers applying for gun licences, and buying rifles. It is only a matter of time before some robber gets shot.

Then the vested interest (the legal profession), around whose income this is all founded, will go ballistic.

A dead criminal is bad for the legal business. It means less business. And business is on a roll at the moment.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Calling in an army to deal with civilian problems has more significance than simply having extra people there to help. It suggests that the civil authorities cannot solve the problem and you are upping the situation by militarising it. See Derry 1972.

BTW...wikileaks revealed that the British were appalled with Willie was made Minister for Defence. In a secret cable to the US, it was said he has no experience whatsoever and seems an electoral appointment.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When you think back that this guy used to be Minister for (sitting on) deFence, heaven help us.

When the Asgard struck an underwater object off the coast of France and sank, it could have been salvaged immediately with the insurers picking up the tab, but Wee Willie couldn't make a decision, and in the best Ahern tradition dithered until it was too late. Now he wants an untrained squaddie behind every hedge. FFS!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    Something needs to be done. The danger is that Sutter might decide to bring the army in to replace gardai who he intends to throw off the payroll. Anything for the Anglo Bondholders.

Crime is definitely out of control. I have been told by a garda in the Midlands, of rural dwellers applying for gun licences, and buying rifles. It is only a matter of time before some robber gets shot.

Then the vested interest (the legal profession), around whose income this is all founded, will go ballistic.

A dead criminal is bad for the legal business. It means less business. And business is on a roll at the moment.
    If rural dwellers are armed, then the said criminals will get what they richly deserve.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    Calling in an army to deal with civilian problems has more significance than simply having extra people there to help. It suggests that the civil authorities cannot solve the problem and you are upping the situation by militarising it. See Derry 1972.

BTW...wikileaks revealed that the British were appalled with Willie was made Minister for Defence. In a secret cable to the US, it was said he has no experience whatsoever and seems an electoral appointment.
    The army currently deal with a number of civilian issues - helping guard cash in transit vans, for instance, or guarding Portlaoise Jail.

They also assist in various relief efforts when weather goes mad, don't they?

In relation to this proposal, why for instance could the army not assist in limited roles, such as in manning drink driver checkpoints? How many cops does it take? 3? if one of them was a soldier, could we not spread more Gardai across more checkpoint locations?

Politics.ie Member IrishWelshCelt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I here they're having some trouble up north, maybe we could send them up there?

I remember when Mcglinchey and O'hare we're running loose, the Army had checkpoints all over the place. Got stopped at one myself in Douglas village. I believe incidents of joy riding plummetted after some scoby on a stolen bike ran a check point and had the bike shot out from under him.
    A few weeks before my grandfather died, he started dipping his feet in a bucket of lard.
    He went downhill very fast after that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    The army currently deal with a number of civilian issues - helping guard cash in transit vans, for instance, or guarding Portlaoise Jail.

They also assist in various relief efforts when weather goes mad, don't they?

In relation to this proposal, why for instance could the army not assist in limited roles, such as in manning drink driver checkpoints? How many cops does it take? 3? if one of them was a soldier, could we not spread more Gardai across more checkpoint locations?
    They have an ATCA and ATCP role granted but patrolling the streets for no reason other than crime might happen is totally different and is reminiscent to Martial Law.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast