Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Yes Prime Minister

Default Yes Prime Minister

I saw Yes Prime Minister on Watch last night. I thought it was nearly as good as first. Althought I think a stronger Hacker character would be better. Humprey was spot on. Bernard could have been less Dougalish in his acting. The script was sharp.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's funny, I thought that Humphrey could have been better and Hacker was spot on. But I agree re Bernard and the script was excellent.

Glad to see really good writing back on the TV. Bet the BBC is regretting their decision now.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Once I saw that the uber-pr1ck Alastair Campbell was involved I had to leave the room, or destroy the TV set.

I thought the new series was on GOLD?
    My political compass:
    Economic Left/Right: -5.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.64

Politics.ie Member Astral Peaks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hacker/Haig was good IMHO, the Humphrey character might grow on me but not looking good....

The Bernard is too clueless, without the leavening of wit that Derek Fowlds brought.

Alistair Campbell was only part of the promo doc, I thought? With Hughes, Johnston, Heseltine et al?
    "Don't need a whore, I don't need no booze, don't need a virgin priest."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Very good all round.The Sir Humphrey actor is excellent. Looking forward to the next episode.
    Stand there in silence, look up to the sky and remember how brave they were.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'll have to check it out. I saw the play and wasn't that impressed to be honest, but hopeful for the new series.

I always thought that the Bernard character took away from the accuracy of the series a bit - the way that he was often torn between Hacker and Humphrey was accurate but his cluelessness wasn't (although it clearly served a comedic purpose). So if he's become more clueless, I think it will be a shame for a series that some have billed less of a comedy and more a documentary - I think that would be accurate but for the cluelessness of the Private Secretary character.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Peaks View Post
    Alistair Campbell was only part of the promo doc, I thought? With Hughes, Johnston, Heseltine et al?
    And the aptly titled Gus O'Donnell. But one look at that smarmy pr1ck Campbell is enough to turn this normally mild mannered adult into a gibbering hysterical screamer.

Politics.ie Member Astral Peaks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FakeViking View Post
    And the aptly titled Gus O'Donnell. But one look at that smarmy pr1ck Campbell is enough to turn this normally mild mannered adult into a gibbering hysterical screamer.
    Couldn't remember his name, thanks.

Campbell isn't the worst, IMHO. Blair is a far smarmier pr1ck.
    "Don't need a whore, I don't need no booze, don't need a virgin priest."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FakeViking View Post
    That's Lord GO'D to you.