Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: A quick question in respect to social welfare

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default A quick question in respect to social welfare

I hope I've posted this to the correct forum.

I've been at long last successful in finding a job after being out of work for over 12 months. In the past while I have totally exhausted any savings I had and am living on the dole week to week.

My wife is recovering from cancer treatment and as a result is on illness benefit we have 2 small children. I live in the west and have scored a job in Dublin that I'm made up about. I'll need a place in Dublin only I have zero means to put down a deposit and survive till my 1st payday which will be 4 weeks after my start date.

Can anybody tell me if there is any assistance offered by SW given the fact that I'll finally be out of their hair for good?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Community welfare officer might be your best bet mate. But I wouldn't hold my breath, is there any family you could borrow off in the mean time.

Congrats and good luck
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Monchichi View Post

I've been at long last successful in finding a job after being out of work for over 12 months. In the past while I have totally exhausted any savings I had and am living on the dole week to week.

My wife is recovering from cancer treatment and as a result is on illness benefit we have 2 small children. I live in the west and have scored a job in Dublin that I'm made up about. I'll need a place in Dublin only I have zero means to put down a deposit and survive till my 1st payday which will be 4 weeks after my start date.

Can anybody tell me if there is any assistance offered by SW given the fact that I'll finally be out of their hair for good?
    I've no idea, but the very very best of luck. When do you start and where is the job?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

don't know, but best of luck with the new job

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You should explain your situation to your employer and asked to be paid weekly for the first couple of months for starters. They should be able to help you. They would understand your situation.

Also talk to the Welfare officer as others have said.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you should borrow money off family or friends to tie you over. Best of luck in the new job.

Politics.ie Member louis bernard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have a quiet word with your local St Vincent de Paul and ask them to speak to their counterparts in Dublin. They network with each other well. I am sure they will sort you out with a deposit and you can pay them back when you get on your feet. Best of luck to you and I hope everything works out well.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the rapid responses! I'll try the welfare officer. Hate the thoughts of tapping my family they've already done so much for us that they can ill afford. I'll also have a word with payroll when I start my job getting paid weekly would be a big help altho finding 800 odd for a deposit will still be a major issue.

Thanks very much for all the good wishes I really appreciate them.

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the rapid responses! I'll try the welfare officer. Hate the thoughts of tapping my family they've already done so much for us that they can ill afford. I'll also have a word with payroll when I start my job getting paid weekly would be a big help altho finding €800 odd for a deposit will still be a major issue.

Thanks very much for all the good wishes I really appreciate them.
    I've often paid out relocation expenses to new recruits - and sometimes on a loan basis. It might be worth mentioning it...

Politics.ie Member RightCentreLeft's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Depends on your income etc..

Just a few things which might be of assistance.

Rent Supplement
    Family Income Supplement
    Revenue Job Assist

If you can tell me your expected weekly earnings and family circumstances I can tell you exactly what you are entitled to. I work in this area.

Just as a random act of kindness and in consideration of your situation (and the fact that I know what it is like to be long term unemployed) I am willing to personally donate €50 as a small help. Just PM your bank details.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast