Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Former Minister O'Donoghue won't take pension cuts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Former Minister O'Donoghue won't take pension cuts

Dear all,this is the first discussion I have started so please be patient with me. I was well and truly gobsmacked listening to radio kerry this morning when the ever arrogant John O'Donoghue said that he would not take any more voluntary pension cuts on his pension of 128k per year,this is in addition to a salary he receives as a practicing solicitor.

John O'Donoghue won't take another voluntary pension cut | Radio Kerry | 96-98FM | Your Voice in The Kingdom

Am I missing something,we are continually being told that we must all suffer in order to get out of our financial wasteland (a wasteland caused by Mr o'Donoghues' own party).

The sheer audacity of the man to speak on the radio after the expenses he claimed while in government. The highlights which were 21k for limousine hire while visiting Britain in 2006 and 2007. 32k claimed for trips taken in a matter of weeks in 2006.

Irish Politics, Current Affairs and Magazine Archive - Politico.ie | Party leaders collude over O

I find it amazing that he is trying to rebuild Fianna Fail in Kerry, personally he would turn me against voting for Fianna Fail FOREVER. What do my fellow posters think?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

LŇreal

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Politics is not a career. Or...well it shouldn't be. It ought to be an honour to serve your people and make the tough decisions needed with both eyes at the task at hand, not on the next election.
    This former Minister represents everything I hate about this country.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I liked the phrase in the linked article
    Mr O’Donoghue who is now the PRO for the Kerry Fianna Fail Comhairle Dáil Cheanntair receives an annual pension of €128,000.
    With a PRO like him....
    My Avatar is the FF logo INVERTED symbolising contempt for the FF Party and its members.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is only those in the Public Sector that are facing cuts, because their pay and pensions are paid form the public purse, we cannot affort it anymore, they are leeches, bloodsuckers, and wasters, and terrifying negotiations are about to begin as to how to do this....

Wait! While of course protecting those earning 100k or more... Silly me!

Back to my box.

Politics.ie Member Sister Mercedes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What about the senior retired civil servants, who are on pensions even higher than that, and younger than Mr O'Donaghue in several cases, who have not been asked to take any voluntary reductions?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

This thread is evidence as to why its a waste of time ever taking a voluntary cut. It will never be enough for people. If he took another now, someone would be on next year whining about how he wouldn't take a third.

He's earned the money legally. If people want to propose a >10% cut to all non state pensions then that's something to entertain, but this selective stuff is nonsense.

No idea why FF are still having him actively involved, he's poison to them.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member Sister Mercedes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    This thread is evidence as to why its a waste of time ever taking a voluntary cut. It will never be enough for people. If he took another now, someone would be on next year whining about how he wouldn't take a third.

He's earned the money legally. If people want to propose a >10% cut to all private pensions then that's something to entertain, but this selective stuff is nonsense.
    O'Donaghue isn't on a private pension.
    Last edited by Sister Mercedes; 15th January 2013 at 07:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its across the board, John Bruton, Dick Spring, Brian Cowen

these are all relatively young people and a lot of them have other (substantial) incomes.
    ASFAIK Cowen started drawing his pension before he was 50!

At the very least these big pensions should be staggered, the full pension should not kick in until they are 65.

I was listening to John Bruton pontificate on Radio 1 on Sunday morning, talk about pompous, and his gross annual income is disgraceful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mmunchkin80 View Post
    I think he should be shot, if I'm being totally honest. I hope he dies a slow lingering death of cancer.

But this is the least of the reasons you shouldn't be voting for Fianna Fail.
    I would not wish cancer on a dog and neither should you

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast