Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do Sky Want to Lose Loyal Customers?

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Do Sky Want to Lose Loyal Customers?

After a run in with three Sky people for whom the expression customer service is an oxymoron, I have finally had enough and sent the following email to Comreg. Bear in mind that I paid an additional fee at the time of initial installation to have the install WITHOUT a fixed landline!
    Good afternoon,

I wish to make a complaint about Sky Ireland.

I have been a customer of theirs for five years now. I have what they call a multi-room package whereby we have two set top boxes – one in the sitting room and one in my son’s room. His box needs replacing as it is beginning to fail. I contacted Sky today who were initially happy to replace the box however, once they found out that we no longer have a landline to the house effused to continue and informed me that they will charge me for two full subscriptions to Sky instead of one subscription plus the discounted multi-room fee.

I was told that it is their policy that both boxes must be connected to landline at all times and must be accessible on the same number. When I enquired why I was told by four different people that it is because a very small minority of people have taken the multi-room subscription only to site the second box at a relative’s house. Given this, they are effectively accusing me and many other long standing customers as liars and thieves. They are also placing me in a situation where I have to pay to have a landline I do not want installed and then have to pay some €38 per month plus to maintain that line. I have a telephone service via my mobile that allows me to call anywhere in Ireland and the UK at any time for a mere €14.99 per month yet Sky want, nay demand, that I immediately reinstate a landline – at a cost of around €75 installation fee – then pay to keep that landline for no other reason that it enables them to see if I am attempting to steal services from them.

If I lived in a UPC cabled area I would have no issues about switching to them forthwith and cancelling my service from Sky. Unfortunately I do not so that is not an option. Given this, they have a monopoly for supplying the television service I want and are attaching unfair and unreasonable demands for so doing.

I respectfully ask that you investigate this as a matter of urgency with Sky Ireland with a view to assisting me to resolve this issue.

I await your reply with interest
    It will be interesting to see what Comreg come back with.

What experiences have posters had with Sky?
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aindriu View Post
    After a run in with three Sky people for whom the expression customer service is an oxymoron, I have finally had enough and sent the following email to Comreg. Bear in mind that I paid an additional fee at the time of initial installation to have the install WITHOUT a fixed landline!

Quite good to be fair. I was going to end my subscription last year because I saw it as a unnecessary expense. When I asked to cancel they said they would give me a 50% reduction for the year. My bill is now 16 euro a month.

Politics.ie Member julieandrews's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can you just cancel your Sky and go Freesat instead Aindriu?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aindriu View Post

Not sure you'll get much of a response from Comreg.
    From Sky's own website:

TERMS & CONDITIONS

Other important points about your Multiroom Subscription

• Each Multiroom subscription you take out can only be viewed at the same Address as your first Sky digital subscription.

• The Box used to receive your first Sky digital subscription must always be connected to a fixed and operational telephone line while any Multiroom subscription is in place. All the Boxes used to receive your Multiroom subscription(s) must also be connected to this line and number and you must let us collect information through this line, including your telephone number (caller line identification or CLI).

You've signed up to their T&Cs so they have you by the short and curlies.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Why not keep one Sky box and get a free to view box in the other room.

The advice from Realistic is correct. I threatened to leave and they gave me a year for half price. Gone back up to full price now and they won't give me another discount.
    Cry your hardest now, it opens the lungs, washes the countenance, exercises the eyes and softens down the temper. So cry away.

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bumble View Post
    Why not keep one Sky box and get a free to view box in the other room.

The advice from Realistic is correct. I threatened to leave and they gave me a year for half price. Gone back up to full price now and they won't give me another discount.
    Just do what everyone else does..

1. Tell Sky you are cancelling your subscription

2. Get Mrs Bumble to ring Sky, and have it installed for free, with 12 months half price.. and enjoy Sky for half price, for 12 months

3. After about two months of your own subscription being cancelled, you will fortnightly recieve mail from Sky, offering to re-connect you for free, and charge you half price for your first twelve months

4. After 12 months half price, get Mrs Bumble to cancel her subscription, and take up the Sky offer to you in 3. above

5. Continue this yearly

I have a friend who yearly just cancelled his Sky subscription and moved it first into his wifes name, then his two daughters, until finally he called the postman and told him if he received post for "Freddie" XXXXX, to drop it in to him...

Sky's newest customer was a six year old tan cocker spaniel... who was receiving Sky for 12 months at half price
    Last edited by rockofcashel; 15th January 2013 at 05:44 PM.
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Our sky started failing last December due to the dish rusting. It was hard enough to get through to a customer care rep. who wouldn't put us on hold and never come back but when after going through the usual restart the box, check the cables etc. they said that they would have to send out an engineer costing €100 and if anything needed replacing it would be extra. When we said we would be getting rid of it, we got the usual few months free etc. offers.

We instead got a local guy who installs free to air boxes to come out put up a new rust proof dish and use the skybox just for the free to air channels which I am happy with. I find myself watching more contemporary and challenging stuff like university challenge rather that mush like ice road truckers or constant repeats of top gear.

The sky people were generally friendly (and native english speakers) when you could get them on the line but the extortion of loyal customers for things such as repairs is insulting. You'd think they would be desperate to hold on to existing customers with increasing competition from free to air, UPC and on-line formats such as Netflix and in a recession.

Politics.ie Member Destiny's Soldier's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by realistic1 View Post
    Quite good to be fair. I was going to end my subscription last year because I saw it as a unnecessary expense. When I asked to cancel they said they would give me a 50% reduction for the year. My bill is now 16 euro a month.
    The price is what the customer can afford to pay. That is always the rule of thumb.
    Cowardice asks the question - is it safe? Expediency asks the question - is it politic?
    Vanity asks the question - is it popular? But Conscience asks the question - is it right?
    And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular;but one must take it simply because it is right. -MLK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

there is alot of people leaving them reason cost its going up again 2 euro next month, i get all for 60 euro but i am with them over twenty years, if they ever loss the football there gone.

Politics.ie Newbie rebel-in-exile's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can't speak with any knowledge about the multi-room stuff, but we have a box that is not connected to the landline and this doesn't seem to be an issue.

The box was a bit knackered last year and they did the usual €100 call-out plus replacement costs when I called to get it replaced. When I did the standard threat to leave, they waived the fees and when the Sky guy called, he not only replaced the box, but replaced the dish as he thought it was a bit rusty, without me even mentioning it.

Service guys seem nice, but the staff on the phone can be pretty awful unless you kick up a fuss.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast