Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Town Council Abolition Likely to be Challenged

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Town Council Abolition Likely to be Challenged

The Mayors of Cork Town Councils met last night and are requesting a meeting with Big Phil to voice their opposition to the abolition. The Association of Municipal Authorities of Ireland (AMAI) are also considering legal action.

I hope the legal action goes ahead, getting rid of all of the local authorities is undemocratic in my view and I hope it succeeds.
    There's a lot to be said for the fellow who doesn't say it himself. -- Maurice Switzer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well Midleton town council have 50 grand put aside to fight it , and are looking for other councils to band with them.

Politics.ie Member Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tigerben View Post
    Well Midleton town council have 50 grand put aside to fight it , and are looking for other councils to band with them.
    Would that be 50k of ratepayers money? I'd say they'll fight this to the last Euro of ratepayers funds allowable to them alright. No further tho'.
    The truth of an idea is not a stagnant property inherent in it. Truth happens to an idea. It becomes true, is made true by events.

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FrankSpeaks View Post
    The Mayors of Cork Town Councils met last night and are requesting a meeting with Big Phil to voice their opposition to the abolition. The Association of Municipal Authorities of Ireland (AMAI) are also considering legal action.

I hope the legal action goes ahead, getting rid of all of the local authorities is undemocratic in my view and I hope it succeeds.
    Thia was an absolute certainty to happen... and I still say I will be surprised if the abolition goes ahead... whether people agree with TC's or not, they are the bedrock of parties support in local communities, and the councillors are the rallying point for election teams come election time.. I think the decision will be rowed back upon at TC level
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Socratus O' Pericles View Post
    Would that be 50k of ratepayers money?
    Well it's hardly out of their own back pockets, is it?

Is there any constitutional basis that states there has to be town councils. If there isn't then a legal challenge would be pointless. About time these useless institutions that are an unnecessary cost on the taxpayer were abolished.
    "If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FrankSpeaks View Post

I don't see how something passed through an act of the Oireachtas could be illegal. Inevitably though it was going to face opposition from Town Councillors.

By the way their not getting rid of all of the local authorities. County Councils will contiune to exist, although they are being reformed to an extent.
    "Give us the future, we've had enough of YOUR past, Give us back our country, to live in, to grow in and to love..."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Following a meeting in Midleton last night, Cork’s 12 mayors are seeking talks with Mr Hogan to voice their concerns over the plan.
    That says it all, doesn't it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tea Party Patriot View Post
    Is there any constitutional basis that states there has to be town councils. If there isn't then a legal challenge would be pointless. About time these useless institutions that are an unnecessary cost on the taxpayer were abolished.
    No there isn't.
    "Give us the future, we've had enough of YOUR past, Give us back our country, to live in, to grow in and to love..."

Politics.ie Member Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FakeViking View Post
    Well it's hardly out of their own back pockets, is it?
    So they are defying the Government and concievably taking legal action against the state using ratepayers money? Nice.
    The truth of an idea is not a stagnant property inherent in it. Truth happens to an idea. It becomes true, is made true by events.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast