Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Rory McIlroy's $180m Nike Sponship Deal-is it obscene?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Rory McIlroy's $180m Nike Sponship Deal-is it obscene?

Does any one else find this obsence? That a young man gifted at the game of golf should be getting so much money from one sponship deal alone for playing a game he clearly loves in times like this when hospitals are closing down all over the wesetern world and living conditions deteriorate for the majority. It could be viewed as even more obscene when you consider how Nike operates and what it represents.

Rory McIlroy’s family insist €180m sponsorship deal won’t change him - Golf, Sport - Independent.ie

I've put this in current affairs because I think it has more resonance than just a sport's story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morgellons View Post
    Does any one else find this obsence? That a young man gifted at the game of golf should be getting so much money from one sponship deal alone for playing a game he clearly loves in times like this when hospitals are closing down all over the wesetern world and living conditions deteriorate for the majority. It could be viewed as even more obscene when you consider how Nike operates and what it represents.

Rory McIlroy’s family insist €180m sponsorship deal won’t change him - Golf, Sport - Independent.ie

I've put this in current affairs because I think it has more resonance than just a sport's story.
    Isnt it over 10 years ? Start banning all "obscene" incomes whether it be sport or otherwise and in no time we would be in the hellhole communism created in Russia from 1917 onwards. Understand also Rory does a fair amount of charity work.

I do find it a bit obscene as a regular golfer to receive so much money for hitting a small ball with a twisted piece of metal at the end of a stick
    People demonise Fianna Fail and they are entitled to do so but same people are not capable of answering a few awkward questions themselves.

Politics.ie Member Kevin Parlon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Isn't it more like $250,000,000? Obscene because its Nike? Or the money is obscene?

My 2c. I don't think it is obscene. Fair play to Rory. His talent and dedication and luck (that is, to be talented at golf as opposed to say, fly fishing) have ensured that he will found (assuming he has kids one day) a legacy that should carry down through his descendents into the far future. Nike aren't the cartoon villian some would like to believe they are. Whilst I would go out of my way not to wear their brand on my person they are just another company at the end of the day.
    "It is amazing how many people think that they can answer an argument by attributing bad motives to those who disagree with them." - Thomas Sowell

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Under the Capitalist monetary system the most goes to those at the top. Rory is number one so he gets the most. Nike will need to sell a heap of gear to get their investment back. However I totally agree with you.
    Hopefully Rory will open a new wing of a hospital, but somehow I doubt that will happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He's so totally not skipping the Olympics, so.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mr. jings View Post
    He's so totally not skipping the Olympics, so.

Good point. I wonder is there something in the contract?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

BTW: The money translates to just a few score grand short of a half million a week for 10 years. Not too shabby. And that's before he adds any tournament wins.
    "It is amazing how many people think that they can answer an argument by attributing bad motives to those who disagree with them." - Thomas Sowell

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

fair play and good luck to the lad.
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morgellons View Post
    l=http://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/rory-mcilroys-family-insist-180m-sponsorship-deal-wont-change-him-3353473.html]Rory McIlroy’s family insist €180m sponsorship deal won’t change him - Golf, Sport - Independent.ie[/url]

That's a ridiculous statement. No matter what money is spent on, roads, schools etc, you could always use the false argument "what about the hospitals". Anyhow, none of that is his fault. Don't be such a begrudger.
    Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for Pink Floyd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Miami Mick View Post
    Does not sound as insane when you break it down like that.
    Everything's relative. And yes, by any standard it is a lot of money. But, Nike aren't a charity so we can only assume he's worth it, in the scheme of things. If you want to examine it from a moral perspective; should he have refused? Of course not. Take the money and do some good with it.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast