Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Auctioneers to discount farmhouse values by 50% for property tax

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Auctioneers to discount farmhouse values by 50% for property tax

I see this reported on the Facebook page of the Farming Independent ... following on what Michael Healy Rae has been saying in the media over the past week or so...

But seemingly auctioneering organisations have made statements suggesting they intend to write down the value of farmhouses for property tax by "at least 50%"...

How do you think this will go down with the hundreds of thousands of urban householders who may be levied hundreds of pounds per year in property tax because of the area they live in.. while a farmer is paying the absolute minimum even if they are living in a huge house and sitting on millions of euro's worth of land

(I know not all farms are worth millions.. but some will be)

Farmhouse tax clash... | Facebook
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Politics.ie Member Tin Foil Hat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's just another reason why the property tax is essentially absurd.
    Unique houses are unvaluable, especially in the current climate. Pick a number from the sky and go with it.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rockofcashel View Post
    I see this reported on the Facebook page of the Farming Independent ... following on what Michael Healy Rae has been saying in the media over the past week or so...

But seemingly auctioneering organisations have made statements suggesting they intend to write down the value of farmhouses for property tax by "at least 50%"...

How do you think this will go down with the hundreds of thousands of urban householders who may be levied hundreds of pounds per year in property tax because of the area they live in.. while a farmer is paying the absolute minimum even if they are living in a huge house and sitting on millions of euro's worth of land

The question is what do they mean by a 50% writedown, 50% on what? If they are suggesting that farmhouses need to be revalued in line with the general fall in property prices, that figure would be about right. However, if it is a tax evasion measure based on understating the true current value of the property, that would be a different matter.
    I don't think the land value is an issue - unless it's sold for purposes other than agriculture.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Hopefully the media will launch a name and shame campaign wrt the auctioneers. Easy to do, just ferret out recent land and house sales in the area and do a comparison. Then put the auctioneer's name beside the two figures.
    Cry your hardest now, it opens the lungs, washes the countenance, exercises the eyes and softens down the temper. So cry away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If all property is undervalues in order to avoid paying high property tax then how is the property market ever going to recover ?

Politics.ie Member regnal gib 1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fine Gael: looks like that old saying the party of 'big farmers and Merchants' is holding true. Next on FG/Labour agenda will be a write down on mansions for the wealthy, how will they get around that? Listed houses exempt?

Politics.ie Member regnal gib 1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There has been lots of animals relocated from regeneration areas into rented properties owned by FG/FF/Labour landlords, in my area. Will we get a write down because of this???

The one day of the week there is something worth reading in the indo and this ************************ will be in it tomorrow.
    Personally I don’t agree with this and had intended to pay my property tax as directed

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

so are auctioneers saying they will engage in tax evasion whereby the price someone offers is declared at 50% off ? isnt it great of our media to report this so that no farmer has to directly ask them to be dodgy but can expect it instead. So will they do this for the rest of us too? Finally property prices will get back to ''normal'' so ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Putting a property tax on a farm-house will be a real live mine-field.
    It will be argued that it is a business premises, a place where the planning of and the day to day running of the farm is carried out, not to mention the paper work for all the various grants has to be done.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast