Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the Medical Council fit for purpose?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Is the Medical Council fit for purpose?

Jan 14, 2013
    A Medical Council fitness to practise inquiry has found a doctor guilty on three counts of professional misconduct. A decision on sanction will be made at a later date.
    The inquiry heard that Dr Chidozie Emmanuel Onovo, 43, originally from Nigeria and with an address (and family) in Bantry, Co Cork, failed to disclose that he had been convicted in Britain of drug smuggling in 1998.
    Solicitor JP McDowell for the Medical Council's chief executive told the inquiry that Dr Onovo worked in a number of Irish hospitals between July 2004 and 2008.
    The inquiry heard that Dr Onovo received a two-year custodial sentence in Britain in September 1998 for attempting to smuggle in 4.5kg of cannabis.
    He applied for temporary registration with the Irish Medical Council in 2003. In the application he stated he had never been convicted of an offence.
    The inquiry also heard that his CV stated he was working as a doctor in Nigeria when he was in fact imprisoned in Britain.
    He applied for and was granted full registration in Ireland in 2008 and again did not disclose his conviction.
    In September 2010, Dr Onovo was sentenced to 16 months in New Zealand on immigration fraud charges.
    While working there in Christchurch he applied for a work permit and his previous conviction was uncovered.

Doctor who hid conviction guilty of misconduct - RTÉ News

Why the Medical Council has taken 2 years 4 months to set up this inquiry is a mystery. The Medical Council permitted this fraudster to practice here in sensitive positions without properly checking him out and accepted his professional qualifications which the New Zealand court found highly doubtful.

We have to ask if the Medical Council is up to task and how many more doubtfully qualified “professionals” are working in our health system.

Web summary of Onovo’s history: Business Profiles and Company Information | ZoomInfo.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Because he was in prison in New Zealand and so would represent the lowest of low risks and as such would be pushed to the bottom in favour of any other investigation into someone currently practising?

How would you suggest the IMC identifies someone registered and trained in Country A who applies to work in Ireland but has broken the law in country C? He's successfully lied in New Zealand as well.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I love the insertion of "(and family)" as if it's relevant...

It taints the rest of your OP wonderfully and raises suspicions as to the real motivation of your post...

Is the IMC fit for purpose?

Probably not... but then would anyone be surprised if this is the case?

Much of the 'state' and the connected quangos aren't fit for any purpose, and yet they persist....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Because he was in prison in New Zealand and so would represent the lowest of low risks and as such would be pushed to the bottom in favour of any other investigation into someone currently practising?

How would you suggest the IMC identifies someone registered and trained in Country A who applies to work in Ireland but has broken the law in country C? He's successfully lied in New Zealand as well.
    If IMC is unable to carry out verification checks then clearly it can not accept such a person to practice here in Ireland. Why should it not raise concerns that foreign doctors are not properly checked? There is no point at all in having a registration process if that process is inadequate.

There is a cultural barrier to overcome by practitioners from foreign countries and it is beholden on the IMC to ensure that people can have confidence in the qualification and references check if that barrier is not to be raised further.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post
    I love the insertion of "(and family)" as if it's relevant...

It taints the rest of your OP wonderfully and raises suspicions as to the real motivation of your post...

Is the IMC fit for purpose?

Probably not... but then would anyone be surprised if this is the case?

Much of the 'state' and the connected quangos aren't fit for any purpose, and yet they persist....
    I added the family information because I thought it necessary to indicate that the good doctor had not just passed through but had a base in Ireland. What suspicion are you attaching - would be good to know so I can more properly address your innuendo.

So you are so dismissive of the role of the IMC in protecting the health service from impersonations and bogus medics - still maybe you are somewhat conditioned to an Ireland with low standards!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Shouldn't the IMC employ private investigators to check up on the backgrounds of doctors who wish to be employed in Ireland? Doctors playing amateur sleuth might work in Diagnosis Murder but not in real life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch 22 View Post
    Shouldn't the IMC employ private investigators to check up on the backgrounds of doctors who wish to be employed in Ireland? Doctors playing amateur sleuth might work in Diagnosis Murder but not in real life.

There are established modus operandi for verification between health authorities, universities and employers which does not require Inspector Morse or any other imaginings you may employ. Whats the relevance of the picture?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You are failing to recognise that the Irish Medical Council is run by a majority of non-doctors (unlike everywhere else in the developed world that has medical councils).

Perhaps the hatred and hostility towards doctors has run it's course?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by frequency View Post
    You are failing to recognise that the Irish Medical Council is run by a majority of non-doctors (unlike everywhere else in the developed world that has medical councils).

Perhaps the hatred and hostility towards doctors has run it's course?
    Please explain how I have demonstrated any hatred or hostility towards doctors. Its a put up or shut up time!

Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cynicist View Post
    I added the family information because I thought it necessary to indicate that the good doctor had not just passed through but had a base in Ireland. What suspicion are you attaching - would be good to know so I can more properly address your innuendo.
    There are plenty of posters on here who have an anti-immigrant agenda and who slide it into virtually every post they make. Immigrants are the cause of all our ills in their deluded heads...

I suspected you may be one of them... and perhaps you are?

I still don't get why whether or not he's got family here is in any way relevant to IMC screening processes...

So you are so dismissive of the role of the IMC in protecting the health service from impersonations and bogus medics - still maybe you are somewhat conditioned to an Ireland with low standards!
    Anyone who has lived here for any length of time and who pays attention to what goes on should be somewhat conditioned in this way...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast