Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving in Snow - A good few tips here - Public Service Announcement

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Driving in Snow - A good few tips here - Public Service Announcement

Fair play to the Beeb for this article on their news site.

Many drivers here need to read and heed this too.

BBC News - How to drive in snow and icy weather
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And a word to the rear-wheel drive, automatic Beemer and Merc drivers...if it snows and freezes please stay off the road - you're only embarrassing yourselves and making it more difficult for the rest of us!!!
    The more things change....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned democrat View Post
    And a word to the rear-wheel drive, automatic Beemer and Merc drivers...if it snows and freezes please stay off the road - you're only embarrassing yourselves and making it more difficult for the rest of us!!!
    You probably don't know how to drive such a vechicle!

Politics.ie Member dizillusioned's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Why do we need a special Public Service only announcement? You suggesting they cannot drive now Aindriu?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Rear wheel drivers need to weigh down the back of the car. Try putting your golf clubs in the boot, and your wife's. And all your money. If that doesn't work hire some asylum seekers to climb into your boot. Not scrawny ones obviously.
    If there is a future, it will be Green.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The chances of you getting stuck in snow driving is negligible, it's ice that is the main problem so it should be low gear, low speed, no sudden turning movements.....take up hills in one go, even if you have to wait at the bottom for the road to clear and most important, a good set of tyres .

I remember driving the m1 the year of the bad snow and the amount of drivers who went spinning off the road in front of me, from driving into bends too fast and then you hit under the bridges at donabate where the road was still frozen, skating rink.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh and if you come across an accident slow the fup down and don't rubberneck!
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dizillusioned View Post
    Why do we need a special Public Service only announcement? You suggesting they cannot drive now Aindriu?
    Last year a Mail columnist criticised them for not telling her it was a bad idea to try to drive to the airport in an

Politics.ie Member Destiny's Soldier's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A couple of years ago I was driving southbound one dark evening for Cork exiting the M7 onto the N8 for Abbeyleix and got caught up in snow.

Once off the motorway the snow was a couple of inches thick and all road markings were covered over. With the snow falling dense and fluffy it was extremely disorientating. Cars had suddenly gone with the odd one or two coming against me. I was worried they would slide into me as we passed each other. It was a guess as to where the road was.

I crawled all the way into Abbeyleix which felt like the longest journey ever and checked into the hotel there.

I had never felt so relieved seeing the lights of a town as I did that night. I found it hard to believe how quickly I had got caught up in a very dangerous situation on a supposed National route.

The road was barely passable and I was lucky that I didn't get stuck.
    Cowardice asks the question - is it safe? Expediency asks the question - is it politic?
    Vanity asks the question - is it popular? But Conscience asks the question - is it right?
    And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular;but one must take it simply because it is right. -MLK

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

really need good thread depth on your tyres

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast