Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do coalition governments work? Would single party governments be better?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Do coalition governments work? Would single party governments be better?

Until 1989, 52 years of the state's existence consisted of single party government with Fianna Fáil or Cumann na nGaedhael being in government alone. Since 1989 no party has ruled alone. Are coalitions a good thing? We're seemingly getting parties coming together under a mish mash of policies due to the compromises of coalition that is failing to bring a clear coherent strategy. The current government's economic policy being an example with the clash between defending income tax by Fine Gael and the protection of Croke Park Agreement/Public Sector and the core welfare rate by Labour seeing unfair and uneven taxes/cuts brought in due to the kite flying by both parties. Another example was the mish mash of FF and PDs from 1997-2011 with FF supporting higher spending and the PDs supporting lower taxation which of course eroded our taxbase which is one of the reasons we're screwed up economically today. Even FG and Labour in the 80s was a bad stalemate government which put their respective party interests above the national interest and it took a single party government led by FF to finally get a move on in cuts without bullying or threats from another party in government.

So would single party governments be better for Ireland? There is the argument that single party governments like Cumann na nGaedhael in the late 1920s and FF in the early 1940s, early 1950s and late 1970s were some of the worst governments ever but are coalitions worse with their lack of strategy, kite flying, compromises and infighting?
    I have closed down this account, I am now The Rahenyite.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If the last shower were a single government, forbid the thought of what would have happened.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    If the last shower were a single government, forbid the thought of what would have happened.
    Are you suggesting that if the Greens were not part of the last government, things would have been much worse?
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The country would be far better off if we had a right wing block (FG, half of ff, some indos) and a left wing block (labour, SF, some of ff, indos) with a tiny minority of parliamentarians being parish pumpers or Marxists or too independent to be in a party.

Instead we had had ff+pd, ff+lab (probably the best), FG+lab (second best), ff + pd (started well but went downhill rapidly), ff +pd + info (worse), then ff + gr + exPD + indo, now we have FG + lab + IMF + ecb + ec, which is essentially continuity from its predecessor. For 21 years we have had nihilist government. (Their pensions and pay did improve, however).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    Are you suggesting that if the Greens were not part of the last government, things would have been much worse?
    Indeed I am.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It comes down to the situation and the practical talents that government has.

Politics.ie Member Sister Mercedes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

One of the Worst Governments this Country ever had was the 1977-1981 FF Govt with a majority of 20.

One of the Worst Governments the US ever had was 2002-2006 when the Republicans controlled the Presidency and both Houses of Congress.

Coalitions tend to clip the most crazy of party policies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A bigger issue for Ireland right now is that there is no real opposition. SF don't count because they are not credible.

I would have actually preferred if FG had an overall majority and Labour was out of government but presenting a strong (and realistic) alternative view. Such a set up is more healthy for democracy than 'everyone in' and the only people with differing views being a bunch of nutters.

Politics.ie Member Sister Mercedes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    A bigger issue for Ireland right now is that there is no real opposition. SF don't count because they are not credible.

I would have actually preferred if FG had an overall majority and Labour was out of government but presenting a strong (and realistic) alternative view. Such a set up is more healthy for democracy than 'everyone in' and the only people with differing views being a bunch of nutters.
    I agree. What we have in Ireland today isn't a Coalition. It is a National Government, with no real opposition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sister Mercedes View Post
    I agree. What we have in Ireland today isn't a Coalition. It is a National Government, with no real opposition.
    True. I would also say that a National Government was probably a good idea back at the height of the crisis (and should have been described as such and declared to be temporary) but it is becoming time for a new setup.

My fear is though, that because of the need for balance, the nutters have been given the spotlight and there will be more of them after the next election.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast