Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Matt Baggott step down from his post ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Should Matt Baggott step down from his post ?

In light of what can onlybe described as shambolic policing by the PSNI, should Matt Baggott as its chief step down from his role. The last 5 weeks we have continuously observed the PSNI largely adopt a policy of observation of rioting for the most part. In extraordinary episodes of rioting, intimidation and harrassment , very few of those involved have been arrested and brought before the courts.

In a normal society this would not be acceptable. For example, in the London and Uk riots police took a role , correctly IMO, of tackling and stopping criminal damage and harassment. That doesn't appear to be happening in Belfast and Carrickfergus etc. Matt Baggott promised a tough line with rioters but we appear to be getting anything but. . PSNI 'will deal firmly' with protest violence - RTÉ News

So if the boss fails to deliver not on his promises but on the very core of his role in policing shouldn't he step aside and allow someone to do the job correctly. Isn't it time for a new head of the PSNI
    #3amigos

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How independent is the Chief Constable? Can the FM/dFM give instructions to go softly?
    "Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PeacefulViking View Post
    How independent is the Chief Constable? Can the FM/dFM give instructions to go softly?
    Not directly but politics is politics. The situation has this afternoon taken a turn for the worse. He must get a grip or go.
    #3amigos

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In the article linked in the OP Baggott says "violence" will be dealt with firmly. What about non-violent but illegal blocking of roads and so on? Surely that was be dealt with firmly as well.
    "Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Blocking the public highway is completey illegal, and highly likely to lead to violence. It should not be countenanced or tolerated under any circumstances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think the authorities are taking a softly softly approach hoping these protests will fizzle out. Whilst that might not be acceptable to a lot of people it is probably the least worst option at the moment. That said I think you will see a firmer approach if the protests continue and the "unionist forum" fails to do something positive over the next few days Listening to some of the spokespersons associated with these protests they seem to be emboldened by the official response. The reality is that the protests are not gathering momentum and its just the "usual suspects" engaged in the violence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm astonished at the lack of calls for him to go. The man has shown no leadership at all
    Ya wouldn't want to have seen t happening but if Eammon Mc Cann and Bernie Devlin conceived a child, ideologically, it would be me

Castle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by eskrimador View Post
    I'm astonished at the lack of calls for him to go. The man has shown no leadership at all
    What about David Ford? He's in charge of DoJ. The whole Executive are culpable too if Baggott is at fault and nothing is done surely?

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

police have stood back from and contained riots for several years and relied on video evidence, basically they reckon the old snatch squads and baton charges inflame rather than disperse... anyway how many were calling for baggott to go after the same policy was used at the ardoyne riots?
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

See Barney Rowen has tweeted this a while ago

@BrianPJRowan: There is no policing answer to this. Leaders need to lead - all leaders/all sides and before it's too late.
    #3amigos

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast