Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Army Rangers Wing thread.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Army Rangers Wing thread.

This thread is about anything to do with anything Army Ranger Wing related. What are peoples understanding about their training, their operations, their purpose, as examples? Do we need them, are they useful?

I am particularly interested on how they measure up on the global scale in terms of comparing them with other special forces. It seems to me they have to multi task a bit more than most of countries special forces, so how does this affect their abilities?
    Last edited by NewDawn1; 12th January 2013 at 02:21 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm pretty sure they don't like racists masturbating over them.

Not that I'm saying you're racist, or that you masturbate over them, just putting it out there.
    "Only by applying the most rigorous standards do we pay writing in Irish the supreme compliment of taking it seriously." - Breandán Ó Doibhlín.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes we need them. They are very highly regarded around the world of special forces. They came second in some big international shooting competition recently.
    They are the primary hostage rescue unit in the country. In fact they put that to good use in Liberia. Google search it.
    There is a website dedicated to them where you can find out a lot of informtion.
    Fianglach Web

Could be a good thread but I smell Walter on the Horizon already.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Politics.ie Member LamportsEdge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

is it good training for being a mercenary, Ted? And do the Ministry of Defence and Skittles get a commission like an employment agency if the Rangers should end up in the wrong country shooting at baddies while on technical leave from the Irish Defence Forces?

Another quare question. Given the historical connotation of Rangers v Celtic shouldn't the Irish Army Rangers be called the 'Irish Army Celts' in order to avoid chucklesome confusion in Glasgow?
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    Yes we need them. They are very highly regarded around the world of special forces. They came second in some big international shooting competition recently.
    They are the primary hostage rescue unit in the country. In fact they put that to good use in Liberia. Google search it.
    There is a website dedicated to them where you can find out a lot of informtion.
    Fianglach Web

Oh really! Do you know what the competition was that they came second in?

Politics.ie Member LamportsEdge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Geography.
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    Fianglach Web

Interesting. I suppose like a lot of these things you query the need for them and in particular how they benefit us domestically particuarly given our costs over runs in many areas at present. I would however suspect their international reputation is a requirement of sorts in today's international military world and sure no sooner would we get rid than we would need them. I suppose we could say this for the army in general. What do we get domestically? Apologies for broadening ten discussion OP.
    #3amigos

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NewDawn1 View Post
    Oh really! Do you know what the competition was that they came second in?
    International sniper competition.
    Rangers pipped at post for top gun prize | Irish Daily Star

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Northtipp View Post
    Interesting. I suppose like a lot of these things you query the need for them and in particular how they benefit us domestically particuarly given our costs over runs in many areas at present. I would however suspect their international reputation is a requirement of sorts in today's international military world and sure no sooner would we get rid than we would need them. I suppose we could say this for the army in general. What do we get domestically? Apologies for broadening ten discussion OP.
    What do we get for having the ARW domestically?

As the primary hostage rescue unit, a lot. They have both green and black roles.
    This page on military.ie is good for looking at their roles.
    Roles | ARW | Organisation | Army | Defence Forces

I once took out two birds with the one shot.

These unfortunate spectators were not aware that the shot putt event had already begun.

I am in favour of keeping this unit as long as the best and only the best get appointed to the wing. There are no places for people whose only talent is being the son of such and such in a unit such as the rangers.
    Fianna Fail - The Anti Democratic Party & The Anti Constitutional Party. Traitors of Irishmen and Irishwomen.

Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast