Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 71

Thread: So, these new drivers licences....

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Marcos the black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Knowhere
    Posts
    18,153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default So, these new drivers licences....

    What's the story? I heard on Matt Cooper this evening that you can no longer go into the local Garda station with the photo, you have to go to your nearest motor tax office, where they will verify you, and your photo, and keep it on record!

    Apparently whatever company has got the tender for this has said that 90% of the population will have to travel less than 50km to register the photo's!!!!! What about the other 10%? And 50km, (100km round trip) is a half day off work!!!

    Ok, I've no links for this (I did a search and couldn't find a pre existing thread on this, but if there is one, please merge) and this is all based on the 10 mins discussing this on the Matt Cooper Show this evening, but it seems to be absolute madness.

    Am I wrong?
    You'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    8,110
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    when are they available, I think my license is up in a few months

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Marcos the black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Knowhere
    Posts
    18,153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    when are they available, I think my license is up in a few months
    Apparently from September on... But as I say, I don't really know anything about it...
    You'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member zippo222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Co. Wexford
    Posts
    3,780
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Pat Kenny had a piece on this mornings radio show about this. Can't remember how far in to the programme it was.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    heart of Europe
    Posts
    5,897
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The Examiner answers all

    From September, applicants will no longer be allowed have their picture taken in a nearby pharmacy or by a local photographer. Instead, it must be captured by Credit Card Systems, a Dublin-based company appointed by the Road Safety Authority to operate the system nationally.
    Motorists face long trips for licence photo | Irish Examiner
    We have turned the corner.I commend this Budget to the House. Brian Lenihan, 9 December 2009

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    8,110
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I don't think I have ever gone to my local pharmacy to have my photo taken

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member mickterry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    It is the same in Australia. All photos for a licence are taken at the Licencing authority. No story here at all.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member storybud1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    6,729
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Here was a super chance to collect fingerprints for ID purposes, wasted yet again.
    fingerprints will be a big part of the digital future - see

    Mobile Phones With Fingerprint ID Coming This Year - Bloomberg

    Imagine Gardai/social welfare/immigration officers equipped with these devices to check IDs (which would be instantly sent back to a database to check) this would ensure no info is kept on the scanner.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member Marcos the black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Knowhere
    Posts
    18,153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    So you can scan your smartphone as a boarding pass for a flight, but you have to drive 50km and back to present a photo?????????
    Isn't this regression? Seriously, makes you wonder about the tendering process!
    You'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    8,110
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    finger print recognition has been available on laptops for years, it's crap, don't see why sticking it on a phone would be any different

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •