Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Has the Belfast Telegraph gone more orange since it became Dublin owned?

Johnny Boy

Default Has the Belfast Telegraph gone more orange since it became Dublin owned?

In a front page editorial this evening (I can't provide a link so I've transcribed this from the print edition) the paper asserts in relation to the flag issue: "But most who share the feeling of hurt are appalled at how a legitimate sense of grievance has degenerated on the streets into threats, violence and criminality."

I have to say that if the Belfast Telegraph represents mainstream unionist opinion, and fails to grasp that the new flag policy is merely emulating what is already best practice among major councils in Britain then we have little hope. To suggest that it is justifiable to fly the flag on a daily basis only in the city which just happens to have the largest number of opponents by far, to that practice, anywhere in the uk, is counter-intuitivity at an asinine level.
    What part of "majority opinion" do they not understand?
    Grievance your arse!
    Get a bloody life!
    The Dublin owners of this rag need to be taken to task for promoting continued Neanderthal thinking in this part of Ireland simply to curry favour within unionism.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is this another Denis O'Brien plaything ?

Johnny Boy

Quote Originally Posted by cricket View Post
    Is this another Denis O'Brien plaything ?
    Does O'Brien now owns Independent News and Media outright these days? The BT is part of that consortium, yes. It was bought during Surtony's reign........................................

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why is it any different from any other newspaper that has a 'political side' I could find many who support extreme republicanism, moderate every day nationalism, every day unionism and extreme loyalism if I was to look.

What makes the BT any different than any other paper out there? Every paper has its own views on what side it takes throughout the world.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No.

Politics.ie Member PaddyO'Neill's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It has become like a tabloid this last while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Boy View Post

Grievance your arse!
    Get a bloody life!
    The Dublin owners of this rag need to be taken to task for promoting continued Neanderthal thinking in this part of Ireland simply to curry favour within unionism.
    I don't agree with the violence, but there are two sides to every story. Thankfully some can see that without feeling the need to toss insults about.

Let’s be honest, how would we feel if our Tricolour was taken down?
    By Victoria White
    Thursday, January 10, 2013
    THERE is no excuse for loyalist violence on the streets of Belfast.
    But let’s not pretend there’s no reason for it. An injustice has been done. The loyalists on the streets have seen the democratic process operate to take from them the symbol of their identity.

Taking a flag down is about the most potent symbol of taking away someone’s sovereignty that you could possibly dream up. That’s what you do when you want to show someone they’re not in charge any more because you are.

It doesn’t matter that flying the union flag on ceremonial days only is the norm throughout the United Kingdom and the chosen path of certain unionist councils. It doesn’t matter that the union flag flies at the Cenotaph in Belfast’s Garden of Remembrance.

Nothing matters except the fact that the union flag used to fly all year and now it doesn’t. Nothing matters except the fact that the flag has been taken away.
    Irish examiner
    Don't tread on me.

Politics.ie Member PaddyO'Neill's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The above could bring a tear to a glass eye Centauro.

Christ knows the reaction when Belfast has a Nationalist majority and Europes largest skip is summoned to City Hall for the clear out.

Castle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Boy View Post
    Grievance your arse!
    Get a bloody life!
    I presume that drink has been taken.

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

it will go yellow if you leave it in the sun...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast