Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 76 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: France intervenes in Mali.

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default France intervenes in Mali.

This morning French president François Hollande said that France would be ready to stop Islamist rebels from advancing further south:

"We are faced with a blatant aggression that is threatening Mali's very existence. France cannot accept this. We will be ready to stop the terrorists' offensive if it continues."
    This comes after Mali requested French military aid on Thursday, January tenth. This afternoon the French president indicated that France had intervened in Mali:

"French forces brought their support this afternoon to Malian army units to fight against terrorist elements,"
    "This operation will last as long as is necessary."
    It has been noted by the French president that France is acting in accordance with international law. I wonder to what extent France will engage in this conflict.

On Friday afternoon, SPIEGEL ONLINE observed camouflaged Transall cargo planes landing and taking off at the airport, though it was impossible to make out whether they bore French markings. Likewise, two combat helicopters set down at the airport, which has now become the last line of defense for the government forces.

The military has completely closed Sevare off to the media. But residents reached by phone on Friday morning reported having seen French special forces troops in the city. Speaking on condition of anonymity, several Malian officers confirmed the arrival of a small group of elite French soldiers, explaining that they are supposed to help the Malian army in its efforts to drive back the Islamists.
    For more:
    France carried out air strike in Mali: foreign minister | Reuters
    France and West Pledge Support after Islamists Start Offensive in Mali - SPIEGEL ONLINE
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/12/wo...790EAF8C9E9BE3

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No protests by the anti-war movement like there was when the U.S./UK got involved in Iraq?

Fair play to France. I fully support preventing these Islamists from taking control but the double standard is striking.

Have Europeans grown up and woken up to the fact that Bush was right all along? I hope so.

Politics.ie Member harshreality's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why would they bother?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Good on them. Mali's got a democratically elected govt and are facing clear aggression from internal sources. The eu should be aiding them in their efforts to protect the democracy they've worked so hard to implement. It's good to see France and the un push for an early intervention rather than waiting until its too late.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch 22 View Post
    No protests by the anti-war movement like there was when the U.S./UK got involved in Iraq?

Fair play to France. I fully support preventing these Islamists from taking control but the double standard is striking.

Have Europeans grown up and woken up to the fact that Bush was right all along? I hope so.
    are France using Shannon airport to refuel military craft and troops like with Iraq etc?
    Last edited by lostexpectation; 11th January 2013 at 09:24 PM.
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

France need this for national morale right now. The Five Nations doesn't start for another month.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch 22 View Post

It's hard to know where to start with this. I really couldn't be bothered. Buy a book. Any book on the Iraq war. Then buy a paper on what's happening in Mali. Then get someone to read them to you. Then write down all the things wrong with the above post. Then hit yourself with the book.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    It's hard to know where to start with this. I really couldn't be bothered. Buy a book. Any book on the Iraq war. Then buy a paper on what's happening in Mali. Then get someone to read them to you. Then write down all the things wrong with the above post. Then hit yourself with the book.
    After the fall of Saddam many in the West were calling for a complete withdrawal from Iraq before a democratic government could be established that could defend itself from Islamists if the US force withdrew at that time.

It is quite clear that Mali is in danger of falling to the Islamists and the Mali armed forces are incapable of containing them.

French and other European armed forces with the assistance of African countries are going to have to slap a coalition together and fight a war to save southern Mali and push into northern Mali to crush the Islamists.

The very people and countries who refused to support the war in Iraq have no option to support a war against the Islamists in Mali which is very quickly developing into a new theatre in the war on terror.

Witness ignoramuses like you would prefer for all of West Africa including Nigeria were to fall to the Islamists rather than do anything to stop a Muslim imperialist takeover.

It will be too late to fight back when the Sourbonne is surmounted by a pyramid of severed heads and the green flag of Islam flies from the Eiffel Tower.

Politics.ie Member Monday Monday's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

France seem to becoming much more militarily aggressive.

Fighting in Coate D'ivoire, Libya, Mali and Afganistan all in the 21st century which is only 12 years old.

Are we seeing a Post Cold War return to Western Imperial adventurism.

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Apparently troops from Senegal and Nigeria have also arrived in Mali:

French soldiers arrived on the same day as troops from neighboring Senegal and Nigeria, said Mali Defense Ministry spokesman Diarran Kone. They are expected to see combat "as soon as the necessity arises," Mr. Kone said.
    French troops seem to have engaged in combat with the rebels alongside the Malian army and other troops from Western-Africa.

France Sends Troops to Aid Malian Army - WSJ.com

Page 1 of 76 123451151 ... LastLast