Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 76

Thread: Should generic drugs be compulsory in health care ?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    22,153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Should generic drugs be compulsory in health care ?

    I see the troika are putting on pressure in relation to the health service and have zoned in on the use of generic drugs. That does seem sensible to me. I am no expert, that's for sure, but I understand there can be quite substantial differences between the original brand drug and the generic spin offs. With that in mind and in an attempt to save costs should we make it compulsory to use the less expensive generic drug in any Heath care scenario, wether that be prescriptions, hospitals etc. Of course there are laws which mean the original brand cannot be substituted but that is only for a limited period of time . Beyond that the generic drug is a real and viable option.

    Now the med reps won't be happy but if we are going to save money shouldn't this be considered. Let's take the vested interests out of if and lets really save money that doesn't hit our own people but rather multi national companies.
    #3amigos

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    610
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Generic drugs only become available when the original patent owners drugs come off patent.

    Do you propose excluding all drugs that are within patent from the consumers of the Health Service?

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    22,153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcolebrooke View Post
    Generic drugs only become available when the original patent owners drugs come off patent.

    Do you propose excluding all drugs that are within patent from the consumers of the Health Service?
    No I referred to that in my OP. I am referring to drugs out of patent. Apologies if I wasn't clear.
    #3amigos

  4. #4
    Dylan2010
    Guest

    Default

    might be a good start to close down the Irish medicine board. A good example of regulation screwing the customer for little or no benefit.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    610
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northtipp View Post
    No I referred to that in my OP. I am referring to drugs out of patent. Apologies if I wasn't clear.
    How much money do you believe is spent in the current year by the HSE on non generic drugs which have generic alternatives?

    Do you have a figure?

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member teapot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Head due East from Labrador, stop when you see cliffs.
    Posts
    1,129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I started getting generic drugs (outside Ireland) over 25yrs ago - it was a contractual agreement done to lower prescription drug costs. They said it worked.
    When I came to Ireland I was struck by the volume of 'under patent' drugs being prescribed; used to wonder why they didn't go generic (when and if they could re patent dates, etc) and put it down to the old nudge-nudge-wink-wink back-scratching way of operating the Health Service by the FF/PD lot and who was getting rich off it.

    I personally have no problem with accepting a generic substitute for a prescription drug where it is legally available... I used to wonder about gastro-resistant apirins, for example. The ones I get now come from UK. Previously they were labelled as coming from UK and then being re-labelled as being re-packed by some outfit in outer Donegal and used to wonder just who owned that enterprise??? (and why they couldn't have been purchased direct in the first place) Unless that's an old established way of doing business (and one of the reasons behind 'the high cost of doing business in Ireland')
    'BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE THAT MATTER DON'T MIND; AND THOSE THAT MIND DON'T MATTER...'

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member harshreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,685
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northtipp View Post
    I see the troika are putting on pressure in relation to the health service and have zoned in on the use of generic drugs. That does seem sensible to me. I am no expert, that's for sure, but I understand there can be quite substantial differences between the original brand drug and the generic spin offs. With that in mind and in an attempt to save costs should we make it compulsory to use the less expensive generic drug in any Heath care scenario, wether that be prescriptions, hospitals etc. Of course there are laws which mean the original brand cannot be substituted but that is only for a limited period of time . Beyond that the generic drug is a real and viable option.

    Now the med reps won't be happy but if we are going to save money shouldn't this be considered. Let's take the vested interests out of if and lets really save money that doesn't hit our own people but rather multi national companies.
    Yes of course!

    If the same results can be achieved at a reduced cost then I fail to see the problem. Can't figure out why this is only being raised now!

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    606
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    With vested interest taken out of it there is no reason why, and at the moment they are being used, this would free up monies for more expensive treatments (eg. new cancer treatments), also there are a lot of very effective generic drugs which have been ignored over the years despite being as or more effective treatments, quite simply because they are out of patent and not being marketed aggressively.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member ManOfReason's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,321
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    If doctors have to be forced into taking this common sense step then shame on them for not doing it already when the two drugs are identical.
    Clicking an ad a day keeps Politics.ie in business.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    610
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Can anyone tell us how much or little is spent on non generic drugs that are not out of patent?

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •