Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pierre Trudeau and the 1970 October Crisis

Politics.ie Member de valera's' giddy goat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Pierre Trudeau and the 1970 October Crisis

Getting into a bit of Canadian history while i am living here, I was struck by the eloquence of former Canadian Prime Minister Trudeau in numerous youtube clips I have seen of him, particularly during the October Crisis.

The October Crisis stemmed from 2 kidnappings of government officals by the Front de Liberation du Quebec (FLQ) in Montreal. Trudeau invoked the War Measures Act which was the only time in peacetime Canada that it has been triggered. Federal Canadian Troops poured onto the streets of Montreal.

Having lived here for a year and a half in Canada it seems unbelievable that such an event would occur in Canada. I am struck by how opinion is so divided on Trudeau even to this day

Here are some clips....

There's no place for the state in the bedrooms of the nation. Pierre Trudeau

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I notice the Irish connection to the crisis:

British Trade Commissioner James Cross was born in Dublin city (See Categories section at bottom of the following link

James Cross - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One of the prominent Quebec personalities who, on 14 October, called for negotiating "exchange of the two hostages for the political prisoners", had Irish ancestry.

Claude Ryan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Politics.ie Member TiredOfBeingTired's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davidcameron View Post
    I notice the Irish connection to the crisis:

British Trade Commissioner James Cross was born in Dublin city (See Categories section at bottom of the following link

James Cross - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One of the prominent Quebec personalities who, on 14 October, called for negotiating "exchange of the two hostages for the political prisoners", had Irish ancestry.

Claude Ryan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    No surprise re Irish people involved.

"The 1851 census reported that more than half the inhabitants of Toronto, Ontario were Irish, and in 1847 alone, 38,000 famine Irish flooded a city with fewer than 20,000 citizens.

Other Canadian cities such as Saint John, New Brunswick; Quebec City and Montreal, Quebec; Ottawa, Kingston and Hamilton, Ontario also received large numbers of Famine Irish since Canada, as part of the British Empire, could not close its ports to Irish ships (unlike the U.S.), and they could get passage cheaply (or free in the case of tenant evictions) in returning empty lumber holds.

However fearing nationalist insurgencies the British government placed harsh restrictions on Irish immigration to Canada after 1847 resulting in larger influxes to the U.S.

The largest Famine grave site outside of Ireland is at Grosse-Īle, Quebec, an island in the St. Lawrence River used to quarantine ships near Quebec City."
    Great Famine (Ireland) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My own suspicion is that, at that time, a lot of people emigrated to Canada (esp Quebec Port) and some moved on to USA.

This always amazes me:
    Before the Famine, Leitrim had 155000 people. Now is has 31000.
    County Leitrim - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Sometimes there is very little between historical and hysterical. One passes for the other. In time, the former remains forever, the latter is quickly replaced...

Politics.ie Member de valera's' giddy goat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Leitrim was very hard hit in the famine, as a Leitrim person i wonder what kind of conditions the people were living in back then, they must have been terrible, there isn't much space for 155.000 people.

huge Irish influence here in Canada, so far while living here some of the town in Ontario i have been in include Waterford, Listowel, Tralee and Leitrim, my boss is from Newfoundland and you can here certain words and phrases and the irish accent comes out

the Quebec question still rumbles on, majority of the rest of Canada seem to want to be rid of them so long as it doesn't cost them any money and the Quebeckers can't hold Canadian passports or use the Canadian dollar
    There's no place for the state in the bedrooms of the nation. Pierre Trudeau

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by de valera's' giddy goat View Post
    Leitrim was very hard hit in the famine, as a Leitrim person i wonder what kind of conditions the people were living in back then, they must have been terrible, there isn't much space for 155.000 people.

huge Irish influence here in Canada, so far while living here some of the town in Ontario i have been in include Waterford, Listowel, Tralee and Leitrim, my boss is from Newfoundland and you can here certain words and phrases and the irish accent comes out

the Quebec question still rumbles on, majority of the rest of Canada seem to want to be rid of them so long as it doesn't cost them any money and the Quebeckers can't hold Canadian passports or use the Canadian dollar
    Interesting thread DVGG.
    Some (all?) St John Newfoundland people have very similar accents to Waterford people.
    "Keep firing & don't stop until I tell you" General Tom Barry

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boy M5 View Post
    Interesting thread DVGG.
    Some (all?) St John Newfoundland people have very similar accents to Waterford people.
    It's a fascinating story:

Newfoundland: The Most Irish Place Outside of Ireland

Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Radharc did a film about these people many years ago...it was shown again recently (just before christmas i think) during the RTE 50th celebrations.......well worth looking at....
    What the imagination can't conjure, reality delivers with a shrug

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Franzoni View Post
    Radharc did a film about these people many years ago...it was shown again recently (just before christmas i think) during the RTE 50th celebrations.......well worth looking at....
    I missed the repeat, but saw it first time around. It really is like Ireland abroad.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interestingly the British high commissioner in Canada around that time was later revealed to be a paedophile.

https://wikispooks.com/wiki/Peter_Hayman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    I missed the repeat, but saw it first time around. It really is like Ireland abroad.
    Yup...as you said yourself fascinating stuff....seemed like a timewarp and reminded me of being brought back to see distant relations down the country many years ago...
    What the imagination can't conjure, reality delivers with a shrug

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast