Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Terminations and what if?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Terminations and what if?

I'll keep it short and sweet. Firstly, I'm very much pro-choice. Now, maybe it's been dealt with before but the current Oireachtas Committee meetings got me wondering, a woman has the right to travel for an abortion, she has the right to abortion information but what happens when a) a woman in, for example, a psychiatric unit is pregnant and wants an abortion, for which as things stand, she has to travel abroad for? Or b) a woman is confined to prison, is pregnant but wants an abortion? What happens in these situations? Are the women simply, literally, forced to term?
    We already have fuel poverty, do we want water poverty too? No thanks. Not registering, not paying.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If you're a prisoner or a patient confined against your will, certain of your constitutional and human rights are obviously not in effect. Whether that would include your right to travel abroad to get an abortion is probably something the courts would have to rule on.

I'd imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to ensure the security and safety of a woman in those circumstances. After all, prisoners are regularly brought into hospitals for treatment, and people are regularly extradited abroad.
    Mark Murray.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vanla sighs View Post
    I'll keep it short and sweet. Firstly, I'm very much pro-choice. Now, maybe it's been dealt with before but the current Oireachtas Committee meetings got me wondering, a woman has the right to travel for an abortion, she has the right to abortion information but what happens when a) a woman in, for example, a psychiatric unit is pregnant and wants an abortion, for which as things stand, she has to travel abroad for? Or b) a woman is confined to prison, is pregnant but wants an abortion? What happens in these situations? Are the women simply, literally, forced to term?
    Women used to (even when contraception was banned in Ireland) take reasonable responsibility for ensuring that they didn't become pregnant when they didn't wish to have a child. It is sad to see that as time progresses, despite the easily availability these days of contraception, that some women seem to take less responsibility rather than more. Abortions should never be the easy way out!
    BECAUSE SOME OF US DON'T THINK ABOUT FUTURE GENERATIONS, THEY WILL NEVER FORGET US! https://www.vimeo.com/8668733 'Pipe Down' Corrib gas documentary 2009

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It does not matter what the Bible states, what the Bishops say, Youth Defence shouts or what God orders, some women when pregnant do not want to have a child. Do we want to go back to back-street abortions? I think not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by junius View Post
    Women used to (even when contraception was banned in Ireland) take reasonable responsibility for ensuring that they didn't become pregnant when they didn't wish to have a child. It is sad to see that as time progresses, despite the easily availability these days of contraception, that some women seem to take less responsibility rather than more. Abortions should never be the easy way out!
    Contraceptives are not 100% safe.
    We already have fuel poverty, do we want water poverty too? No thanks. Not registering, not paying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sondagefaux View Post
    If you're a prisoner or a patient confined against your will, certain of your constitutional and human rights are obviously not in effect. Whether that would include your right to travel abroad to get an abortion is probably something the courts would have to rule on.

I'd imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to ensure the security and safety of a woman in those circumstances. After all, prisoners are regularly brought into hospitals for treatment, and people are regularly extradited abroad.
    Yes, I presume it would end up in court. Would be interesting and could happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A woman in the care of the HSE asked for a termination in 2007. The HSE prevented her from travelling. She had to take them to court.

Irish judge stirs up abortion debate by ruling 17-year-old can travel to UK for termination | Society | The Guardian

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Contraceptives are not 100% safe.
    That's why I always use a false name.
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heligoland View Post
    A woman in the care of the HSE asked for a termination in 2007. The HSE prevented her from travelling. She had to take them to court.

Irish judge stirs up abortion debate by ruling 17-year-old can travel to UK for termination | Society | The Guardian
    Once she was shown the scan Miss D decided she would seek an abortion. But the HSE wrongfully told her there was a court order preventing her leaving the country. The agency also wrote to Ireland's police urging them to stop her going abroad. A superintendent wrote back saying he had no powers to detain the girl.
    Unbelievable.......Is there monkeys working in the HSE...???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ain't you lucky your mother didn't want an abortion and simply, literally, went to term.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast