Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 137

Thread: Measuring Teacher Performance

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member bactrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    1,200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Measuring Teacher Performance

    There is a very interesting report commissioned by the "Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation" measuring effective teaching.

    http://metproject.org/downloads/MET_...oner_Brief.pdf

    I have only had a chance to scan through it ,but, I think that it illustrates an effective method on measuring Teacher performance.

    Your comments on the report would be interesting.

    Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes! we know Bill and Melinda Gates are infernal capitalists and acolytes of Satan.

    Yes!Yes!Yes!Yes! we know that teachers have permanency and are therefore disciples of the Devil.

    Comments on the Report please!
    Just because you did something stupid yesterday does not mean you cannot do something smart today!

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Marcos the black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Knowhere
    Posts
    18,133
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Measuring teachers performance is easy:

    If the child does well it's because the child is brilliant.
    If the child does bad it's because the teacher is crap.

    This is my understanding of how most parents rate teachers.
    You'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member APettigrew92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Saarbrücken, Germany
    Posts
    2,586
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    It's difficult to rate Teachers as every party has a vested interest.

    Students usually either love or hate their teacher, mostly hate, due to stereotypes that you only hate your teachers because you're a poor student.

    I disagree. I was a fairly good student and I only hated teachers who I personally felt couldn't teach or couldn't control a class, two things which should've nullified their ability to even become a teacher.

    It's rather the system which determines how they're appointed. They aren't hired by the necessary criteria. Having the ability to know a ton about your given subject doesn't make you a good teacher.

    It's one of the many flaws of Education in this country.
    Avarus animus nullo satiatur lucro - Latin Proverb

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,895
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Teachers do not want their performance to be measured. They will lie and obfuscate about performance and league tables forever.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member RobertW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    20,477
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by captainwillard View Post
    Teachers do not want their performance to be measured. They will lie and obfuscate about performance and league tables forever.
    How is your performance at work measured?

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by captainwillard View Post
    Teachers do not want their performance to be measured. They will lie and obfuscate about performance and league tables forever.
    Public teachers don't want their performance measured. They're not interested in that. Our education system is set up to benefit the unions, not the children. Education is so hopelessly broken, that only a cleansing of the whole way we view education will remove the sickness.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertW View Post
    How is your performance at work measured?
    By what he produces.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member RobertW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    20,477
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R3volution_R3ady View Post
    Public teachers don't want their performance measured. They're not interested in that. Our education system is set up to benefit the unions, not the children. Education is so hopelessly broken, that only a cleansing of the whole way we view education will remove the sickness.
    Blah blah blah. . . Same oul rubbish.

    Shame you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    9,700
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by captainwillard View Post
    Teachers do not want their performance to be measured. They will lie and obfuscate about performance and league tables forever.
    I think some teachers dont want thier performance measured. The good ones have nothing to fear. Its the poor ones that will fight tooth and nail to prevent it

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    753
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Come back Mr Chips all is forgiven.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •