Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Online news - not as good as the real thing?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Online news - not as good as the real thing?

This morning I went though the process of having some Irish newspaper websites unblocked in work. Thankfully this was granted. Our web filter is particularly ardent in blocking forbidden content, mostly contained in ads.

Why did I bother?

Because the only site I could access for Irish news was Journal.ie and I couldn't stand it any more.

The comments section there a horrific experience where you can expect to be either trolled out of red thumbed to death for holding an opposing opinion. To be fair, however, they do tend to remove reported comments pretty quickly but they don't seem to be actively moderated.

The lack of news content is minimal at best and they do tend to obsess on topics of the day. Today, yesterday and seemingly the weeks before seem to have been overwhelmingly concerned with abortion. This morning of the first ten "articles" of the day, four of them were about abortion.

Given the recent issues over twitter and social media type things, and recent threads on p.ie, I have started to wonder are we loosing the quality of real journalism in place of convenience?
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post

Given the recent issues over twitter and social media type things, and recent threads on p.ie, I have started to wonder are we loosing the quality of real journalism in place of convenience?
    No. I think most quality news organisations have an online presence and you can get good news from these sources.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    No. I think most quality news organisations have an online presence and you can get good news from these sources.
    I'm talking specifically about online only news sites.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

hard to beat reuters man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

CM, real journalism, in Ireland anyway, is a distant memory. It's been replaced by a lazy, behind-the-desk, opinionated melange of pseudo-journalism that masquerades as factual reporting but is actually a re-hash of opinions forwarded to journalists by news services that have, at best, faulty histories in truth-telling.

Incisive, compelling, investigative journalism was for a time when stories had to be sniffed out, looked into, disseminated, re-assembled and presented in a cogent manner.

Today we have the internet. Great in some respects, but an invitation to laziness as far as good journalism is concerned.
    Abortion is an act of violence. Violence demeans humanity, particularly violence against women and children.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is news available in online forums which is censored or ignored in the mainstream.
    I must admit I prefer holding a physical newspaper than scrolling down t'interweb.
    Lot easier on the blood pressure as well, compared to online forums.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
    CM, real journalism, in Ireland anyway, is a distant memory. It's been replaced by a lazy, behind-the-desk, opinionated melange of pseudo-journalism that masquerades as factual reporting but is actually a re-hash of opinions forwarded to journalists by news services that have, at best, faulty histories in truth-telling.

Incisive, compelling, investigative journalism was for a time when stories had to be sniffed out, looked into, disseminated, re-assembled and presented in a cogent manner.

Today we have the internet. Great in some respects, but an invitation to laziness as far as good journalism is concerned.
    I'm getting to the stage when I view stupid videos on the Internet, and can predict which ones will be featured in the Irish papers the next day.
    Everything is getting dumbed down to attract a broader readership or higher viewing figures.
    The Irish Independent "woman supplement," and Will Young on feckin' Question Time being 2 random examples.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Internet News is the new RedTop.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree with the OP in regards to Irish news sites. However, there are many good sites out there.

My usual method in obtaining online news is to go to several sites and then compare, based on what I know of their biases and then try to form my own opinion.

What I do know is that I haven't bought an Irish newspaper in a long time and when I do read them, I find them to be hard to stomach.
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I despise R Murdoch but agree with him on one thing only..

Why do people expect journos (real journos, not op/ed people) to work/write for free?
    My Avatar is the FF logo INVERTED symbolising contempt for the FF Party and its members.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast