Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Politicians letting the side down?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Politicians letting the side down?

I thought the submissions over the last three days by all the various stake holders in the Oireachtas abortion hearings to be quite civil. It is unfortunate that however that two Senators have engaged in behavior that is perhaps a tad unbecoming of their position and in contrast to those invited to speak at the hearings.

RTE 6 o'clock news reported that independent Senator Crown tweeted during today's submissions that "every time they speak I lapse a little more". While Labour Senator Ivana Bacik accused the Catholic Bishops of opposing the legislation on the basis of “misogyny towards women” and a belief in the “innate deceitfulness of women”. Of course they are entitled to their opinions (which many of us agree with) but shouldn't these legislators have had more manners?

https://twitter.com/ProfJohnCrown
    Senator Ivana Bacik: Catholic Bishops ‘hate women’
    http://www.independent.ie/national-n...n-3348477.html
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is unfortunate and if a legislator has something to say they should say it to the floor rather than tweeting it. It's just childish but it does go down well in some quarters.

Ivana is just being Ivana. Everybody is used to her meandering at this stage and she has little credibility even with people who agree with her.

Politics.ie Member harshreality's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not a very clever remark from Bacik, but then again she needs to get noticed somehow.

And there are probably many Bishops out there who love women!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bacik is to public office what Hitler is to market gardening.
    Abortion is an act of violence. Violence demeans humanity, particularly violence against women and children.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Should they have their hands slapped by their colleagues? When you consider Minister Rabbittes thoughts last week, perhaps politicians should ensure that all their colleagues behave in a manner that is respectful?
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

john moriarty

Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    ...It is unfortunate that however that two Senators have engaged in behavior that is perhaps a tad unbecoming of their position and in contrast to those invited to speak at the hearings....
    I don't agree. We can be too
    deferential (in public anyway)
    Maybe a bit more directness
    would help us all in the long
    run - and not just in politics.

* I've mis-read ger12s post.
    Crown was rude to tweet mid
    session. Not so sure though
    where Bacik went wrong.
    Last edited by john moriarty; 10th January 2013 at 09:11 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    Should they have their hands slapped by their colleagues? When you consider Minister Rabbittes thoughts last week, perhaps politicians should ensure that all their colleagues behave in a manner that is respectful?
    Such people generally just lose credibility and that's enough surely. Ivana can't get herself elected in elections outside of Trinity precisely because of her outbursts. It would of course be a breath of fresh air if parliamentary colleagues, particularly own party colleagues, did from time to time say "what X said is frankly ridiculous" but that would be nice across the board not just in respect of her.

More to the point re John Crown there shouldn't be tweeting during a meeting. I work in business. If I took out my phone during a meeting and tweeted my clients would give me the heave ho and rightly so. That's just common courtesy. He's more than entitled to watch it on the tv and tweet about it but once he goes into the meeting he should be expected to pay attention. That's what he's paid for.

I agree with your initial point though. The last few days showed what a functioning democrat can look like. Experts, politicians and civil society groups all politely listening to each other. I disagree with William Binchy but he is a nice polite man and I'm more than happy to hear his contribution and the discussion is richer for it.

Caught between the moon and New York City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Torn on this one. The tweeting incident, is to my mind patently rude, akin to disengaging someone mid sentence to talk to someone else.

As for Ivana's comment...whilst I don't share much of her views, I'm glad that she bluntly questioned the views of the clergy. I think as a society, we need to ask more direct unpleasant question of all those who previously were shown deference by default...I include politicians, solicitors, doctors and teachers in that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintop View Post
    Torn on this one. The tweeting incident, is to my mind patently rude, akin to disengaging someone mid sentence to talk to someone else.

As for Ivana's comment...whilst I don't share much of her views, I'm glad that she bluntly questioned the views of the clergy. I think as a society, we need to ask more direct unpleasant question of all those who previously were shown deference by default...I include politicians, solicitors, doctors and teachers in that.
    This. On both points.
    Redacted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintop View Post

I agree with that. However there's a time and place for this isn't there?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast