Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 143 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Most people in RoI condemn Belfast flags decision: Poll

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Most people in RoI condemn Belfast flags decision: Poll

You will be aware, I'm sure of the recent ructions in Belfast over the decision to fly the Union Jack over Belfast City Hall on only a few days per year.

Some of those opposing the decision were planning to protest in Dublin on Saturday. The protest has been postponed but if today's Paddy Power poll is anything to go by, they'd be preaching to the converted! Over half of those surveyed, 57pc, felt Belfast city council was wrong to restrict the flying of the Union flag at Belfast city hall!

57% in RoI oppose Belfast flag decision

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the real talking point is the 48% (undecided are taken out of it) of SF voters who support this motion.

Welcome to West Britain SF voters

56% for FF & 55% FG

Not bothered too much about it, but it does seem stupid tp restrict the flying of a flag, knowing full well what the consequences we're going to be. Surely BCC have more important things to be getting on with.
    A few weeks before my grandfather died, he started dipping his feet in a bucket of lard.
    He went downhill very fast after that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So why another thread on this?
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post
    So why another thread on this?
    Oops. Where's the other thread?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think it was a cynical decision that got exactly the kind of response that should have been expected. This poll probably reflects the fact that most people would think similarly rather than there being some kind of west brit majority.
    It's right up there with loyalists marching through nationalist areas acting surprised and dismayed when the locals get upset.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bm42 View Post
    I think it was a cynical decision that got exactly the kind of response that should have been expected. This poll probably reflects the fact that most people would think similarly rather than there being some kind of west brit majority.
    It's right up there with loyalists marching through nationalist areas acting surprised and dismayed when the locals get upset.
    I'm not trying to be picky but this thread isn't about the decision itself. Rather it's about the apparent gap between southerners and NI nationalists.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This only tells me one thing.

Paddy power asked this question as part of a general Red C poll, and this Red C poll is the one we are talking about elsewhere.

I think PP commission polls separately to the SB post, so we may have the poll pre-Sunday.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iphonista View Post
    I'm not trying to be picky but this thread isn't about the decision itself. Rather it's about the apparent gap between southerners and NI nationalists.
    Agreed - its confirms SF can now be classified as West Brits

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iphonista View Post
    You will be aware, I'm sure of the recent ructions in Belfast over the decision to fly the Union Jack over Belfast City Hall on only a few days per year.

Some of those opposing the decision were planning to protest in Dublin on Saturday. The protest has been postponed but if today's Paddy Power poll is anything to go by, they'd be preaching to the converted! Over half of those surveyed, 57pc, felt Belfast city council was wrong to restrict the flying of the Union flag at Belfast city hall!

57% in RoI oppose Belfast flag decision
    Well that shows how ignorant of foreign policies Irish people are then.
    Across the entire UK, the Union flag is ONLY flown from the mast had of CERTAIN buildings (town & city halls for example) on CERTAIN days of the year. NOT every day, CERTAIN days. So Belfast City Council have merely voted to bring Belfast into line with all other UK towns and cities.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Page 1 of 143 123451151101 ... LastLast