Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Do the majority of the electorate now favour a more liberal abortion regime?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Default Do the majority of the electorate now favour a more liberal abortion regime?

Looking at the result of today's RedC poll result, I'm inclined to see signs of a sea-change in the public mood.

Majority support X case legislation - poll - RTÉ News

8% want no legalisation.
    26% want a referendum to remove suicide from the X Case ruling.
    29% want abortion on demand.
    35% full X Case legislation.

We're entering new territory here. There is little appetite for the favoured anti-abortion strategy of calling for another referendum, and perhaps most surprisingly, only 8% are totally opposed to abortion in all circumstances. Is this the beginning of a new approach to this thorny question? I, for one, believe it is.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hold your horses. 33% of the population opposed the the 1983 amendment, so there has always been a sizeable minority who are opposed to the pro-life campaign.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Today were find ourselves in a situation where a government is legislating for abortion, which may or may not lead to abortion on demand, in circumstances where it is not clear what the electorate wish to see regarding the threat of suicide. And the opinion of the people has not been sought in this regard (this of real concern in a country where the people are sovereign surely?).

The views of the people may have indeed changed over the years since the 8th amendment was accepted by the people.

If the people were to choose to remove the 8th amendment then our legislators would be mandated to legislate as they believe society wishes? If the people were to choose to amend the 8th amendment to remove the risk of suicide then legislators would ensure that the medical profession were protected in decisions made to ensure the woman's life was protected?

Ireland inserted the 8th amendment to do something that has now ended up as being contrary to the will of the people at that time.
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by borntorum View Post
    Hold your horses. 33% of the population opposed the the 1983 amendment, so there has always been a sizeable minority who are opposed to the pro-life campaign.
    Yes, but 8% only are opposed to any and all abortions.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    Today were find ourselves in a situation where a government is legislating for abortion, which may or may not lead to abortion on demand, in circumstances where it is not clear what the electorate wish to see regarding the threat of suicide. And the opinion of the people has not been sought in this regard (this of real concern in a country where the people are sovereign.

The peoples views may have indeed changed over the years since the 8th amendment was accepted by the people.

If the people were to choose to remove the 8th amendment then our legislators would be mandated to legislate as they believe society wishes? If the people were to choose to amend the 8th amendment to remove the risk of suicide then legislators would ensure that the medical profession were protected in decisions made to ensure the woman's life was protected?

Ireland inserted the 8th amendment to do something that has now ended up as being contrary to the will of the people at that time.
    My question concerns the will of the people at this time, which is the only factor that counts now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think most people would prefer to remove the stupid prohibition from our constitution where it should never have been put in the first place. After that has been done let our legislators do what they are elected to do!
    There's a lot to be said for the fellow who doesn't say it himself. -- Maurice Switzer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    Today were find ourselves in a situation where a government is legislating for abortion, which may or may not lead to abortion on demand, in circumstances where it is not clear what the electorate wish to see regarding the threat of suicide. And the opinion of the people has not been sought in this regard (this of real concern in a country where the people are sovereign.

The peoples views may have indeed changed over the years since the 8th amendment was accepted by the people.

Time has moved on. Try to keep up. A large number of those who voted that way are now dead. Sad but true. A whole generation never voted as you suggest. If i was a so called "pro-life" campaigner i would avoid a public vote at all costs now.
    Сохранить Украины

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    My question concerns the will of the people at this time, which is the only factor that counts now.
    So ask them.
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Politics.ie Member Sister Mercedes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I support the right of a woman to choose an abortion in the first trimester of pregnancy, the first 9-10 weeks.

I don't applaud the choice, but I support the right to make it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drummed View Post
    Time has moved on. Try to keep up. A large number of those who voted that way are now dead. Sad but true. A whole generation never voted as you suggest. If i was a so called "pro-life" campaigner i would avoid a public vote at all costs now.
    Exactly. Society has changed. And should have a say in how we approach the issue of abortion in the future.

Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast