Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47

Thread: Old fogey makes inappropriate remarks about innocent female. Eminent sports commentator compliments beautiful lady.

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Mr. Bumble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Crawling from the wreckage.
    Posts
    18,244
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default Old fogey makes inappropriate remarks about innocent female. Eminent sports commentator compliments beautiful lady.

    In today's Irish Times there is an article TV commentator's remarks kick off sexism storm - The Irish Times - Thu, Jan 10, 2013 about comments made by a sports commentator, Brent Musburger, about the girlfriend of one of the players. These are the remarks:

    In the first quarter, ESPN showed McCarron’s girlfriend, Katherine Webb, who was sitting near his parents. Musburger called the 23-year-old Webb, the current Miss Alabama, a “lovely lady” and “beautiful”, and said to his broadcast partner, Kirk Herbstreit, a former quarterback at Ohio State, “You quarterbacks get all the good-looking women.”
    “AJ’s doing some things right,” Herbstreit replied.
    Musburger, 73, then said, “If you’re a youngster in Alabama, start getting the football out and throw it around the back yard with Pop.”

    In response, a professor of journalism at Michigan State University, Sue Carter, made the following criticism of Musburger's remarks:

    “In this instance, the appearance of the quarterback’s girlfriend had no bearing on the outcome of the game. It’s a major personal violation, and it’s so retrograde that it’s embarrassing. I think there’s a generational issue, but it’s incumbent on people practising in these eras to keep up and this is not a norm.”

    Various comments have been made about Musburger's remarks that include words like 'creepy', 'awkward', and the fabulous 'heteronormative'. What a crock of sh1t. A man with good taste (cf the photo in the IT) makes innocent and complimentary remarks about a beautiful woman and this irrelevant rubbish is spouted across the US media. I've created threads on equality of opportunity and esteem for women and I've trenchantly argued for those rights. However, this sh1tstorm is grotesque, unbelievable, bizarre and unprecedented. It would be completely laughable if it didn't embarrass an innocent man and do a great disservice to the equality agenda. As an aside, I'd love the name Brent Musburger - "Hi beautiful, I'm Brent Musburger, what's your name?"

    Anyway, what do you think? Creepy? Awkward? Heteronormative?
    Cry your hardest now, it opens the lungs, washes the countenance, exercises the eyes and softens down the temper. So cry away.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,009
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I watched the game. As with lots of major college games the media were clearly made aware of the location of star players family with families approval. In this instance iut was mom and girlfriend and rtahre ,as in past years, seat in a box or a seated stand, they were , it appeared, in amongst the 'Bama fans.[/I]Mom and girlfirend enaged in quite choreographed celebrations for camera after big plays ( as did the guys standing around them). The girlfriend was also cearly checking out the big screens in the stadium to guide her celebrations and movements.

    however the comments were clearly misogynistic and of the "no longer acceptabel in public " variety.
    However you could opne up a bigger debate about society at large considering the quarrter back for Alabama ( basically barcelon / man utd's no.9 , the cork hurlers centre back and irish rugby team's out-half combined if you are from alabama) fiding love with a former miss alabama.........and what the seemibgly statistically improbable frequency of such couplings says......

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Dame_Enda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southfork
    Posts
    49,679
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    She should be flattered to be considered beautiful. I don't get this.
    Save the 27th

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    26,763
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Jordan View Post
    I watched the game. As with lots of major college games the media were clearly made aware of the location of star players family with families approval. In this instance iut was mom and girlfriend and rtahre ,as in past years, seat in a box or a seated stand, they were , it appeared, in amongst the 'Bama fans.[/I]Mom and girlfirend enaged in quite choreographed celebrations for camera after big plays ( as did the guys standing around them). The girlfriend was also cearly checking out the big screens in the stadium to guide her celebrations and movements.

    however the comments were clearly misogynistic and of the "no longer acceptabel in public " variety.
    However you could opne up a bigger debate about society at large considering the quarrter back for Alabama ( basically barcelon / man utd's no.9 , the cork hurlers centre back and irish rugby team's out-half combined if you are from alabama) fiding love with a former miss alabama.........and what the seemibgly statistically improbable frequency of such couplings says......
    Completely the opposite to "mysogynistic" I would have thought.


    I saw it too. He went on too much and overdid it, but if we live in a world where to say someone is beautiful or attractive or "someone is lucky to be your boyfriend" is deemed unacceptable then I have lived too long.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Monday Monday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dublin Mid West
    Posts
    1,338
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    And while the IT are all po-faced about the sexism of they still decided show a picture of Katherine Webb... in a bikini.

    The article is about Brent Musburger why no picture of him.

    Here's what they should have had on their article.



    Phwarrrr

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,208
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    When I am 73 and I am no longer able to compliment hot women then life will become very cold indeed. One of the few joys men get in life to look at and admire graceful and beautiful women. There is nothing sleazy or creepy about that at all. And anyways a man can't turn off his hard on and if a hot woman turns you on when you are in your golden years then you still have a pulse. Old guys are still attracted to young women and will be until the day they die.







    Older woman are still attracted to young men so should they too be denied?



    I think this suppose controversy reflects badly on the attitude of the feminist who is probably jealous that a nice harmless old guy like Mesburger is unapologetic about his love of hot women.



    I think it betrays Sue Carter's insecurity about getting grey haired and wrinkly and not being attractive any more.

    Biology made men able to father children well into old age and men can't help that biology made them seek to desire younger women.
    Last edited by Hitch 22; 10th January 2013 at 03:49 PM.

  7. #7

    Default

    Imagine if he had called her a munter

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,208
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Monday Monday View Post
    And while the IT are all po-faced about the sexism of they still decided show a picture of Katherine Webb... in a bikini.

    The article is about Brent Musburger why no picture of him.

    Here's what they should have had on their article.



    Phwarrrr
    Back in the 1970s Musberger was probably good with women.



    Is he supposed to just switch off his penis now that he is old?

    No sexual thoughts when you get older? Come on!

    Look at the babe he was talking about.



    HOT DOG!

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member darkknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,869
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Professor Sue Carter



    objects to Katherine Webb



    being described as a "lovely lady" and "beautiful".

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Asparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,879
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    She should be flattered to be considered beautiful. I don't get this.
    And why would a Beauty Queen care if people thought she was pretty...

    She should be judged on the reason that whe is Miss Alabama - her plainness and equality.
    ANGER IS A POLICY, GET OFF YOUR KNEES

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •